Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rosemary Rosemary is offline

Default Heading numbers W2007

I am having difficulty with numbering headings in a large document.

I am usiing the Compatability mode. I want the heading no. hierarchy to be:

Chapter 1
1.1
1.1.1
1.1.1.2

I have followed the instructions previously posted by Stefan Blom and others
on setting up the no. levels using the multilevel list menu. It works well
for Levels 1 and 2, but at Level 3 Word generates 1.a.1 and then, at Level 4,
1.a.i.1. I have tied the levels to styles which are numeric, but the problem
persists.

Can anyone suggest a solution?
--
Rosemary
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
vikram mundra[_2_] vikram mundra[_2_] is offline

€¢ On the Format menu, click Bullets and Numbering, and then click theOutline
Numbered tab.
€¢ Click a numbering format.
€¢ Click Customize.
€¢ In the Level or the Preview box, click the heading level you want to
number.
For example, if you want to number the top-level heading style in your
document, which you've named "My Style 1," click 1 in the Level box.
€¢ If the dialog box is not fully expanded, click More.
€¢ In the Link level to style box, click the style that corresponds to the
level you selected in step 4.
For example, if you clicked 1 in the Level box, click My Style 1.
€¢ Repeat steps 4 through 7 for each heading style in the document.
€¢ To move a heading to the appropriate numbering level, do one of the
following on the Formatting toolbar:
To demote the heading to a lower numbering level, select the heading, and
click Increase Indent or press the TAB key.
To promote the heading to a higher numbering level, select the heading, and
click Decrease Indent or press SHIFT+TAB.

"Rosemary" wrote:

I am having difficulty with numbering headings in a large document.

I am usiing the Compatability mode. I want the heading no. hierarchy to be:

Chapter 1
1.1
1.1.1
1.1.1.2

I have followed the instructions previously posted by Stefan Blom and others
on setting up the no. levels using the multilevel list menu. It works well
for Levels 1 and 2, but at Level 3 Word generates 1.a.1 and then, at Level 4,
1.a.i.1. I have tied the levels to styles which are numeric, but the problem
persists.

Can anyone suggest a solution?
--
Rosemary

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rosemary Rosemary is offline

Hi Vikram

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. Just one follow up query - do you
know how I can access Outline Numbering in Word 2007?
--
Rosemary

"Rosemary" wrote:

I am having difficulty with numbering headings in a large document.

I am usiing the Compatability mode. I want the heading no. hierarchy to be:

Chapter 1
1.1
1.1.1
1.1.1.2

I have followed the instructions previously posted by Stefan Blom and others
on setting up the no. levels using the multilevel list menu. It works well
for Levels 1 and 2, but at Level 3 Word generates 1.a.1 and then, at Level 4,
1.a.i.1. I have tied the levels to styles which are numeric, but the problem
persists.

Can anyone suggest a solution?
--
Rosemary

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rosemary Rosemary is offline

Hi Vikram

Thanks for this. I have now solved the problem - I went back to an earlier
uncorrupted version of the document and then followed a combination of your
advice and Stefan Blom's earlier advice to Kelly V.

It worked perfectly - so many thanks.
--
Rosemary