Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Katie Katie is offline

Default Mail merge from excel

Could someone possibly help me - I am using microsoft mail merge and my
source information is coming from microsoft excel. However, I have noticed
that in some fields, I find the characters are not coming across from
microsoft excel. It appears to cut off - is this something I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Katie Katie is offline

I think it has something to do with the number of characters...

By "cut off" I mean that after a certain number of words, the remaining part
of what I am trying to bring across from ms excel is not brought across.

Do you know if there is any way to increase the number of characters (I did
a length check in excel for one of the items I wanted to bring across and it
was about 600 characters - is it possible to bring this all across into word)?

Kind regards,
Katie

Katie wrote:
Could someone possibly help me - I am using microsoft mail merge and
my source information is coming from microsoft excel. However, I have
noticed that in some fields, I find the characters are not coming
across from microsoft excel. It appears to cut off - is this
something I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PollyP PollyP is offline

It may be that you have a blank row in excel and therefore anything fter this
is not included, only a thought

"Katie" wrote:

Could someone possibly help me - I am using microsoft mail merge and my
source information is coming from microsoft excel. However, I have noticed
that in some fields, I find the characters are not coming across from
microsoft excel. It appears to cut off - is this something I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

In some circumstances Word will restrict the number of characters to (I
believe) 256. See if the following helps:

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at open" item. (In Word
2007 it is Office Button Word Options Advanced General Confirm file
format conversion on open). Then when you attach the data source to the mail
merge main document, you will be given the option of using the DDE method of
connection which should read the data as you have it formatted in the table.

Katie wrote:
Could someone possibly help me - I am using microsoft mail merge and
my source information is coming from microsoft excel. However, I
have noticed that in some fields, I find the characters are not
coming across from microsoft excel. It appears to cut off - is this
something I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Katie Katie is offline

Hi Polly - thanks for the thought - Graham's reply he posted for me did the
trick though! Regards!

"Katie" wrote:

Could someone possibly help me - I am using microsoft mail merge and my
source information is coming from microsoft excel. However, I have noticed
that in some fields, I find the characters are not coming across from
microsoft excel. It appears to cut off - is this something I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Katie Katie is offline

Hi Graham,

You had recently assisted me with some trouble I was having regarding a mail
merge...I have a question related to it and have created it as a separate
thread, although don't know whether I should have just continued on from this
thread...I've put the thread I raised below and am wondering whether you
would know the reason for the problem I've had with rows not showing up when
I select the data source to be what you stated?...

I am using an excel file as a data source for a Microsoft Word mail merge.
Because some of the cells contain more than 256 characters and I need all of
the information to come across, I have selected the data source to be MS
Excel Worksheets via DDE (*.xls).

However, when I do this, I have noticed that some complete rows of data are
missing - could anyone possibly offer me an explanation of what I may be
doing wrong and how I can ensure that everything in the exel file is picked
up?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

In some circumstances Word will restrict the number of characters to (I
believe) 256. See if the following helps:

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab