Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Open attachments Open attachments is offline

Default Microsoft Word 2003

I received an E-miail with two attachments where the sender used Microsoft
Word 2007 ediiton and I have the 2003 Edition of Wicrosoft Word. Although I
was able to open the attacments, other recipients of the same e-mail who
also had the 2003 edition on Microsoft Word, were not able to ope the
documents. When you send e-mails with attachments, should the sender and
receiver have the same edition of Microsoft Word , or is there some other
reason to explain why some receivers can open attahments and others cannot?

Charlie Schumacher

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Possibly you have the Compatibility Pack installed. I suspect this was
included in the most recent Office 2003 SP, as I also seem to have it
despite not explicitly downloading it. The recipients who are unable to open
the docs don't have the Compatibility Pack (and it may therefore be inferred
that their version of Office is not fully patched).

Although it's not a requirement, it would be courteous of the sender to save
(or even create) the document in Word 97-2003 format if he/she is aware that
some recipients will not have Office 2007 installed.

"Open attachments" Open wrote in
message news