Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Pat is offline

Default Opening a new Word document problem

When I open Word to create a new document there is now what looks like an
underline symbol( __ ) at the top left of the page, just below the blinking
cursor. It has never been there before and I have used Word for years
creating documents, so I have accidentally done something to cause it to
appear. It moves down a line each time I use "enter." What did I do and
how do I get rid of it? Many thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Offhand, it sounds like the font you're using is displaying the pilcrow (¶)
as the _ character. If this is the case, then pressing Ctrl+Shift+* should
toggle the character's display on/off.

Are you used to seeing ¶ or are you used to seeing nothing at all? What font
is being used? Did you recently change the default font?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Pat" wrote in message
When I open Word to create a new document there is now what looks like an
underline symbol( __ ) at the top left of the page, just below the
blinking
cursor. It has never been there before and I have used Word for years
creating documents, so I have accidentally done something to cause it to
appear. It moves down a line each time I use "enter." What did I do and
how do I get rid of it? Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Pat is offline

When opening a new Word document I'm not used to seeing anything other than
the blinking cursor. This new (unwanted) symbol is directly beneath the
cursor. It looks like a very narrow and dark rectangle. I cannot place the
cursor on or next to it in an attempt to delete it. I am using Times New
Roman font and have not changed the default font.

"Pat" wrote in message
When I open Word to create a new document there is now what looks like an
underline symbol( __ ) at the top left of the page, just below the
blinking
cursor. It has never been there before and I have used Word for years
creating documents, so I have accidentally done something to cause it to
appear. It moves down a line each time I use "enter." What did I do and
how do I get rid of it? Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Pat is offline

Apparently I inadvertently changed from Print Layout to Normal View. In any
event, it's gone. Thanks, Suzanne and Herb!

"Pat" wrote in message
When I open Word to create a new document there is now what looks like an
underline symbol( __ ) at the top left of the page, just below the
blinking
cursor. It has never been there before and I have used Word for years
creating documents, so I have accidentally done something to cause it to
appear. It moves down a line each time I use "enter." What did I do and
how do I get rid of it? Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That's where I was heading... if it turned out that it did not toggle
on/off. I have seen the paragraph mark, however, display as a similar symbol
rather than as a pilcrow, but it would have toggled.

In any case, the mystery is solved.