Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
toney toney is offline

Default Repeating text but still having a document I can edit

Hi all,

I have a bid form I use regularly. I always seem to forget to change either
the current date or the bid due date. Both are on the form multiple times.
I've played around with "text form field" but can't get around having to
protect the document. I read on another post about creating sections to have
protected/unprotected text but I think I'm missing something since it doesn't
seem to be working.

I do have a couple page breaks in the file that are necessary.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Perhaps a StyleRef field would be more satisfactory for your purposes? Apply
a unique style (it can be a character style) to the date on first appearance
and use StyleRefs to repeat it later. For other options, see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

"Toney" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a bid form I use regularly. I always seem to forget to change
either
the current date or the bid due date. Both are on the form multiple times.
I've played around with "text form field" but can't get around having to
protect the document. I read on another post about creating sections to
have
protected/unprotected text but I think I'm missing something since it
doesn't
seem to be working.

I do have a couple page breaks in the file that are necessary.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
toney toney is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Perhaps a StyleRef field would be more satisfactory for your purposes? Apply
a unique style (it can be a character style) to the date on first appearance
and use StyleRefs to repeat it later.
************
Thanks for the reply.

OK That's getting closer. It looks like I still have to manually update the
repeated 'StyleRef' text anytime I change the original text. (ie select the
'StyleRef' text -Right Click - "Update Field"). I'm hoping for something
that updates the repeated text without any other action from me. Almost like
having "=A1" in cell B17 in Excel and having whatever is in A1 show up in B17.

And yes, I've looked at just trying to the form in Excel but it's really
messy.

For other options, see http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

**********
Actually it's because of that page I've got as far as I originally did. It
appears though this is geared more for a document that's more like a fill-in
the blank with most of the text staying the same. The "Document protection"
is what kills me.

My form usually has a fair amount of editing each time I use it. I need to
describe a material/item to be bid, give delivery instructions, additional
info in the cover letter etc.

All I really want to have automatically repeated is the name of the bid item
in a couple places, the date I'll send the bid in a couple places and the
date the bid is due back in a couple places.

Thanks
Toney

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
toney toney is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No, actually, StyleRef fields update automatically. That's one of their
virtues.

*********
Suzanne,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I've been playing around and reading up on
'StyleRef'. It appears they will only auto update is they are in
header/footer.

The text I want to update/repeat is in the main body of the text. I
understand that typically this would be done with a 'Ref' field. However I
need to modified the bid document in other places besides the 'Ref' fields (I
have to include product specific specs for the bid items).

So....

Is there a way, in the main body of the doc that I can enter the material
title, the bid date and closing date one time AND have those entries show up
in another place WHILE allowing the rest of the document to be editable?

Thanks again

Toney

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You're right about StyleRef fields; since I use them almost exclusively in
headers, I tend to forget this. But Ref fields don't update automatically,
either, so I think you're still better off with StyleRef (which is not
subject to the fragility of bookmarks). StyleRef fields leave the rest of
the document editable, and they will update at print time (provided you have
"Update fields" checked on the Print tab of Tools | Options).