Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DianePDavies DianePDavies is offline

Default Getting my Headings into the TOC

I have defined a hierarchy of heading-styles with outline numbering. I would
like them to show up in my Table Of Contents - but when I try to create one,
I get the following:

"Error! No table of contents entries found."

How do I make these entries in my styles?
--
Diane
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Diane

DianePDavies wrote:
I have defined a hierarchy of heading-styles with outline numbering. I would
like them to show up in my Table Of Contents - but when I try to create one,
I get the following:

"Error! No table of contents entries found."

How do I make these entries in my styles?

the easiest way is to not create your own heading styles, but adjust the
formatting of the built-in Heading 1...Heading 9 styles and use these.

Failing that, the second easy approach is to make sure that each of your
heading styles has an appropriate outline level. This is a paragraph
property, and when you create a new paragraph style, it's set to
"Bodytext" by default. [The built-in Heading styles are each hard-wired
to their respective outline level there, btw.] That way, a default TOC
will pick the first three levels up automatically.

Finally, you can of course adjust your TOC field to include any
paragraph style you like, at whatever TOC level. [You can also do this
in the Insert TOC dialog.]

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports

Outline numbering - headings and no-headings on same level VBMoron Microsoft Word Help 1 October 23rd 07 02:06 PM
Headings Daniel Microsoft Word Help 1 April 3rd 07 08:29 AM
Headings angryt Page Layout 1 February 1st 07 11:17 PM
Headings seyyah New Users 5 January 3rd 06 09:32 AM
Headings Joe Blow New Users 3 November 17th 05 06:19 PM