Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roy in Acworth Roy in Acworth is offline

Default Word 2007 Style Inspector and Apply Styles broken

Word 2007 SP1 with hot fixes
Sometime in the last 2 weeks, the Style Inspector, Apply Styles and the list
of styles have all quit working. The windows are blank with solid Office
Theme background color.

The Styles still show in the drop down list on the ribon and the quick
styles still show on the ribbon.

I have done 'repair install'. I have removed Word and reinstalled. (It is
actually part of 2007 Enterprise edition so that went very quickly.) My next
choice short of help here is to remove all of Office 2007 and I am not
looking forward to that one. Too many settings not to mention license key
issues.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Roy,

Word 2007 SP1 with hot fixes
Sometime in the last 2 weeks, the Style Inspector, Apply Styles and the list
of styles have all quit working. The windows are blank with solid Office
Theme background color.

The Styles still show in the drop down list on the ribon and the quick
styles still show on the ribbon.

I have done 'repair install'. I have removed Word and reinstalled. (It is
actually part of 2007 Enterprise edition so that went very quickly.) My next
choice short of help here is to remove all of Office 2007 and I am not
looking forward to that one. Too many settings not to mention license key
issues.

Sometimes, repairs and re-installs don't touch things in the Registry that may
be causing a problem.

How about if you hold down CTRl to start Word in Safe Mode (installation
defaults). Does the problem go away as long as you're in Safe Mode?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roy in Acworth[_2_] Roy in Acworth[_2_] is offline

Thanks Cindy,
Since I posted, I have tried the /a option which appears to be the same as
CTRL safe mode. Either of these fix 2 of the 5 broken items. The Apply
Styles and Style Inspector work, but the Styles and Reveal Formatting Panes
do not and the File Location Dialog also fails.

I have also done a remove and reinstall of Office and again with the
expected lack of results. I have found out that starting the COMPUTER in
safe mode does fix all the problems.

I am sure this problem is going to be way too much fun to fix.
--
Thanks
Roy

"Cindy M." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Um95IGluIEFjd29ydGg=?=,

Since I posted, I have tried the /a option which appears to be the same as
CTRL safe mode. Either of these fix 2 of the 5 broken items. The Apply
Styles and Style Inspector work, but the Styles and Reveal Formatting Panes
do not and the File Location Dialog also fails.

I have also done a remove and reinstall of Office and again with the
expected lack of results. I have found out that starting the COMPUTER in
safe mode does fix all the problems.

I am sure this problem is going to be way too much fun to fix.

Yeah, I think you may be right about that...

I'd start with the fact that starting the computer in Safe Mode fixes the
problem (for the duration of that session). This means either:

- the Word application is corrupt and needs to be repaired (apparently, that's
not the case)
- you have other software on the machine that's interfering
- the Registry or User Profile is corrupt (or a combination)

I lean towards the last, given that starting Word in Safe Mode works
partially. If you create a new User Profile, do things work correctly in that?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roy in Acworth[_2_] Roy in Acworth[_2_] is offline

No, new user profile does not totally fix it either. It too fixes 2 of the 5
problems.

I am having a real issue wrapping my head around the whole computer in safe
mode issue. To me that implies a device driver is loading a bad DLL that
Word is then finding in memory or something equally esoteric.

I am leaning toward a bad DLL somewhere, but I don't have any idea which
one. I am assuming that most of Word is still a win32 app; not .Net
Framework, so I would guess MFC dlls or something. This reminds me of
problems I used to see under Windos 98 with bad (old) dlls installed into
System32.
--
Thanks
Roy

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?Um95IGluIEFjd29ydGg=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Roy,

I am having a real issue wrapping my head around the whole computer in safe
mode issue. To me that implies a device driver is loading a bad DLL that
Word is then finding in memory or something equally esoteric.

I am leaning toward a bad DLL somewhere, but I don't have any idea which
one. I am assuming that most of Word is still a win32 app; not .Net
Framework, so I would guess MFC dlls or something. This reminds me of
problems I used to see under Windos 98 with bad (old) dlls installed into
System32.

No, no managed code in Word.

FWIW, go ahead and go into the Registry and remove the DATA key for the Word
application. I'm guessing that will permanently fix the 2 problems, anyway.

Have you tried the "Microsoft Office Diagnostics" (under the Tools installed
for Microsoft Office under "All programs")? That might detect something more
than the "repair install".

Beyond that, I guess I'd go with the complete uninstall of Office 2007. Then
install *without* SP1, check the behavior, then install SP1. I haven't heard
of this being a problem with SP1, but perhaps there's a problem with the
download you had?