Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Start page numbering on fourth page as page 4

My God is this confusing! I created a new section at the end of p. 3, but
that created a blank new p. 4 which I don't want.

This is going to be a Published on Demand brochure. The first three pages
(Cover/title page, inside cover page with copyright info, TOC) do not need to
be numbered. P. 4 is the first page that needs to be numbered, and it must
be numbered as p. 4 with the remaining pages numbered accordingly. I cannot
figure out how to do this, despite over an hour watching tutorials and
reading help files.

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bobt bobt is offline

You were on the right track. Insert a CONTINUOUS section break at the END of
P3. Now, if you insert your page numbers now, they will show up in all of
the sections, so (and this is the tricky to explain part) you need to unlink
the footers of sections 1 and 2 (pages 1-3 and pages 4 on). So:

1. After adding the section break, choose VIEW | HEADER and FOOTER. You
should see the Header and Footer toolbar appear.

You'll likely end up on page 1 in the header.

2. Go to Page 4's footer. This will likely be called FOOTER - Section 2.
3. On the HEADER AND FOOTER toolbar, click on the LINK TO PREVIOUS button
to turn it OFF.

Now any thing you put into this footer will only appear on P4 and on.

Bob Tulk
MOUS (97/XP)

"Jeff" wrote:

My God is this confusing! I created a new section at the end of p. 3, but
that created a blank new p. 4 which I don't want.

This is going to be a Published on Demand brochure. The first three pages
(Cover/title page, inside cover page with copyright info, TOC) do not need to
be numbered. P. 4 is the first page that needs to be numbered, and it must
be numbered as p. 4 with the remaining pages numbered accordingly. I cannot
figure out how to do this, despite over an hour watching tutorials and
reading help files.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Do you have Show Non-printing characters turned off? Turn it on. Are
there extra blank paragraphs around the section break? Delete them.

Did you insert a Section Break New Page at the end of p. 3? If you
inserted any other kind of section break, delete it and use the New
Page one.

When you look at the headers & footers, did you unclick Same as
Previous for the header of the new section? If so, go to the first
section and delete the page number from the header or footer it
appears in. It will still be there in the second section, and unless
you changed the starting page number, it will show "4."

On Oct 1, 2:59 pm, Jeff wrote:
My God is this confusing! I created a new section at the end of p. 3, but
that created a blank new p. 4 which I don't want.

This is going to be a Published on Demand brochure. The first three pages
(Cover/title page, inside cover page with copyright info, TOC) do not need to
be numbered. P. 4 is the first page that needs to be numbered, and it must
be numbered as p. 4 with the remaining pages numbered accordingly. I cannot
figure out how to do this, despite over an hour watching tutorials and
reading help files.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Probably the simplest method would be to use a conditional field in the
header and avoid the use of section breaks altogether (assuming this is the
only issue you wish to address with such breaks) e.g.

{IF {Page} 3 "Page {Page}"}

Each pair of field brackets are entered with CTRL+F9

Jeff wrote:
My God is this confusing! I created a new section at the end of p.
3, but that created a blank new p. 4 which I don't want.

This is going to be a Published on Demand brochure. The first three
pages (Cover/title page, inside cover page with copyright info, TOC)
do not need to be numbered. P. 4 is the first page that needs to be
numbered, and it must be numbered as p. 4 with the remaining pages
numbered accordingly. I cannot figure out how to do this, despite
over an hour watching tutorials and reading help files.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeff Jeff is offline

My error in not seeing the Continuous section break, so I understand this and
have added the section break.

However, when I choose VIEW, there is no HEADER and FOOTER section (it is
under INSERT). The only place I see a LINK TO PREVIOUS button is under
DESIGN, which becomes visible when I click into the Footer on p. 4 (now
called Section 2).

I've done the following:
1. Add a continuous section breakat the end of p. 3
2. Disabled LINK TO PREVIOUS
3. In Footer-Section 2 on p. 4 I used the Format Page Number box to specify
the format and to start numbering on p.4
4. In Footer-Section 2 on p. 4 I used the proper commands to specify that
the page numbering should be in the center of the Footer.

The results are a 5 in the footer on p. 4 with the page numbers increasing
by one through the rest of the pages, and p. 2 having a 5 in the footer and
p. 3 having a 6 in the footer.

Almost there, not quite right.

Jeff

"Jeff" wrote:

My God is this confusing! I created a new section at the end of p. 3, but
that created a blank new p. 4 which I don't want.

This is going to be a Published on Demand brochure. The first three pages
(Cover/title page, inside cover page with copyright info, TOC) do not need to
be numbered. P. 4 is the first page that needs to be numbered, and it must
be numbered as p. 4 with the remaining pages numbered accordingly. I cannot
figure out how to do this, despite over an hour watching tutorials and
reading help files.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline