Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gnash gnash is offline

Default page numbers

I am trying to type my dissertation and need to have page numbers on Chapter
pages in the bottom center of the page and the rest of the pages the numbers
need to be int eh top right corner. I can not figure out how to do this - I
keep having the numbers in both locations on all pages.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

Put a section break before each chapter and then set the Page Layout to
"Different First Page."

I hope this helps.

Fred

"gnash" wrote:

I am trying to type my dissertation and need to have page numbers on Chapter
pages in the bottom center of the page and the rest of the pages the numbers
need to be int eh top right corner. I can not figure out how to do this - I
keep having the numbers in both locations on all pages.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This one's easy to fix. In Page Setup Layout, click "Different First
Page" (and Apply to Whole Document, not just This Section or This
Point Forward).

The next time you Show Headers and Footers, you'll be able to delete
the page no. from the header of the first page of each chapter
(assuming each chapter is a separate Section), and from the footer of
the other pages in each Section.

As long as "Same as Previous" remains checked for each chapter-
Section, this should hold for the entire book.