Dmitry Kopnichev

Default When should I use picture compression in Word 2002 sp3?

Hello
When should I use picture compression for pictures in a Word 2002 sp3
document to reduce file size?

jay

The answer may depend on the type of pictures and the intended purpose
of the document.
You may wish to conduct a few experiments, making sure to compare
actual doc sizes and actual output quality in the intended output
types.
IE: how does it print on whatever it will need to be printed on?
Does it still PDF ok, if that is needed?
Does the PDF view ok? does the PDF print ok? in B&W? in color?
etc..

Bruce Harvey

Hi Jay,

extending the question: How do you control picture compression; I cant even
get to tell me what format the pictures are in!!

I have a paper with lots of maths in it. Its 283K as a PDF file, but the
printer wants it as a Word file. Pictures at 300dpi turns it into 8.4MB.

I would like to see if its using bitmap images and it it is turn them into
somthing else.

"jay" wrote:

The answer may depend on the type of pictures and the intended purpose
of the document.
You may wish to conduct a few experiments, making sure to compare
actual doc sizes and actual output quality in the intended output
types.
IE: how does it print on whatever it will need to be printed on?
Does it still PDF ok, if that is needed?
Does the PDF view ok? does the PDF print ok? in B&W? in color?
etc..

jay

great questions...
here's some info:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=42060
I would really grill the printer as to why the *** he wants a word
file instead of PDF!
He (she) should be able to give you a profile/spec for distilling the
file to get a proper PDF.

Depending on your tools available (version of Acrobat, etc) you can
check the font use, graphics resolution, colorspace, (etc...) in the
output PDF. If the colorspaces are correct and rhe resolutions are
reasonable, it should be printable.

regards
Jay