EDO

Default Organizer or Template-which one is more efficient?

In using Word 2002, XP, I've been using Organizer but
after reading some of the questions here, I wonder if
using a Template is better. We have 20 users that I'm
supposed to be advising on the best way to do this to
ensure uniformity of Styles in our company documents.
I have had an easier time dealing with the Organizer,
whereas importing a template was a bit confusing to me.
Just looking for your expert opinion(s).
Thank you in advance.
EDO
Robert M. Franz

Hi Edo

EDO wrote:
In using Word 2002, XP, I've been using Organizer but
after reading some of the questions here, I wonder if
using a Template is better. We have 20 users that I'm
supposed to be advising on the best way to do this to
ensure uniformity of Styles in our company documents.
I have had an easier time dealing with the Organizer,
whereas importing a template was a bit confusing to me.
Just looking for your expert opinion(s).

It's not clear to me what you want to achieve: Usually, the Organizer is
a way (or: can be a way) of transporting styles (and other stuff)
*between* Documents or _Templates_. "Ordinary" (no offence intended!)
users shouldn't not have to worry about either, beceause templates
should be provided to them.

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
EDO

Robert:
We've had a template on our Intranet since May '04! My
group doesn't like using it because when we import a
template, some inconsistent results occur, even after
UNchecking Automatically Update Styles after importing the
template.
The Organizer seemed like a solution to people's uneasiness
Thank you,
EDO
[...]

.

Robert M. Franz

Hi Edo

EDO wrote:
We've had a template on our Intranet since May '04! My
group doesn't like using it because when we import a
template, some inconsistent results occur, even after
UNchecking Automatically Update Styles after importing the
template.

What exactly do you mean with "import the template"? The usual way of
using templates is to place them in a folder on your fileserver where
your workgroup has access to (or, alternatively, copy them into each
each user profile with a logon script). That way, the user goes to File
| New in Word, selects the template and gets a new document based on it.

You could technically place a hyperlink to a template in your intranet
(usually people who do that come to the newsgroups and we then advice
them to create a hyperlink to a Windows-shortcut to the file); it's
probably not the intended procedure.

If you could repro and describe the "inconsitencies" in detail, that
would be of interest here I'm sure.

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
EDO

Robert:
I should've added that employees tried to add the template
to an existing document that probably has some direct
formatting due to many users over the years. When the
template was attached the existing document, the
formatting would get skewered (i.e., Titles) whereas they
prefer using the Organizer because they can just pick the
heading styles only.
Thank you!
EDO