Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jen_writer jen_writer is offline

Default style won't work

I have 3 format styles: Body Text, Body Text 0.5" Indent, and Body Text 1"
Indent. The second 2 styles are based on the first. Body Text and Body Text
1" Indent work but when I try to apply Body Text 0.5" Indent to a paragraph,
the paragraph instead changes to Normal. I've tried deleting and recreating
the style but get the same result.

What's wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Sounds like your Body Text 0.5" Indent style is the same as Normal. Word will
tend to show Normal if the style is the same as the Normal settings.
Check the settings for Normal compared to your style.
tip: you can do a print of all the style available in your document via the
Print dialog, bottom left, Print What: chaneg this to Styles and you will get
a listing of all the details of your styles.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"jen_writer" wrote:

I have 3 format styles: Body Text, Body Text 0.5" Indent, and Body Text 1"
Indent. The second 2 styles are based on the first. Body Text and Body Text
1" Indent work but when I try to apply Body Text 0.5" Indent to a paragraph,
the paragraph instead changes to Normal. I've tried deleting and recreating
the style but get the same result.

What's wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"DeanH" wrote in message
Sounds like your Body Text 0.5" Indent style is the same as Normal. Word
will
tend to show Normal if the style is the same as the Normal settings.

Hmm, I thought this was because the Styles pane doesn't always update
correctly?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jen_writer" wrote:

I have 3 format styles: Body Text, Body Text 0.5" Indent, and Body Text
1"
Indent. The second 2 styles are based on the first. Body Text and Body
Text
1" Indent work but when I try to apply Body Text 0.5" Indent to a
paragraph,
the paragraph instead changes to Normal. I've tried deleting and
recreating
the style but get the same result.

What's wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Stefan, ages ago I thought it was alphabetical ;-)
You maybe right with the pane not refreshing properly, but sometime ago I
did a little test (could have been in my Word 2000 days) and I found that
Word seemed to have a tendency to display Normal over any user-defined style.
I have not played with 2003 or 2007 in this regard, I have alawys defined my
Normal style to be definitively different to any of my styles.
The op did not mention which version they are using, so we may never know.
All the best.
DeanH