Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Legal Matters Legal Matters is offline

Default Help me turn off automatic outline formatting

I have a document with certain text and headings that I reuse. I have
separated portions of the document with roman numerals with a heading and
sometimes I will add a letter for a subsequent heading. However, at work we
were recently updated to Word 2003, and every time I hit return, I am given a
subsequent Roman Numeral or subsequent letter when all I want is to add text.
The tabbing is changed and so are the margins/indents. Is there a way to
just turn it all off. If I want a list, I will do it manually because I will
never want the type of list Word imposes on me.
--
LM
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Either Ctrl-Z (= Undo) or Backspace will take away the automatic list
numbering that can appear. And you can have Word automatically do
exactly the type of list that you do want! (Though it can get
complicated.) One of the MVPs will post the link to the instructions.

On Oct 17, 4:31 pm, Legal Matters
wrote:
I have a document with certain text and headings that I reuse. I have
separated portions of the document with roman numerals with a heading and
sometimes I will add a letter for a subsequent heading. However, at work we
were recently updated to Word 2003, and every time I hit return, I am given a
subsequent Roman Numeral or subsequent letter when all I want is to add text.
The tabbing is changed and so are the margins/indents. Is there a way to
just turn it all off. If I want a list, I will do it manually because I will
never want the type of list Word imposes on me.
--
LM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect Options. On the AutoFormat As You Type
tab, clear the "Automatic bulleted lists" and "Automatic numbered lists"
options. As a matter of fact, you may want to clear all of the options under
"Apply as you type" and "Automatically as you type" in the dialog box (see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...utoFormat.htm).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP