Frijolie

Default page numbering

Hey guys and gals,

The document I'm working with is as follows:

first page header - section 1 -
Title Page (Page 1)
---section break (next page)----
header - section 2 -
Text (Page 2)
Text (Page 3)
Text (Page 4)
Text (Page 5)
Text (Page 6)

I would like to have the text pages' headers read "Page 1 of 5", "Page 2 of
5", .... and have the title page's header empty. I can get almost everything
to work correctly except for one thing. I can't get it to count the
cumulative page number correctly. It will start counting the cumulative page
number starting with the title page. So it counts the pages like this:

Title Page (header empty)
---section break (next page)
Text (Page 1 of 2)
Text (Page 2 of 3)
and so on...

This is extremely frustrating!! I've done everything short of the {PAGE}
thingy. I'd like to avoid doing that if all possible. I know this can be
done, because I've done this before, I just can't remember how I managed to
do it.

Please Help!!

Greg Maxey

It would be interesting to see how you are numbering your pages without the
{ Page } thingy as you call it :-). Press ALT+F9 and see if that thingy
isn't there already.

You can use {PAGE} of {SECTIONPAGES} to generate the display you desire.

See:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Page_Numbering.htm

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

Frijolie wrote:
[...]

Frijolie

Thanks for the suggestion, I got it fixed. It had {PAGE} of {NUMBER OF
PAGES} in there. I changed the second one to your suggestion {SECTIONPAGES}
and now it's fixed! HURRAY!! Man! I was getting frustrated. Thanks again.

Frijolie wrote:
[...]

Frijolie

Well it displayed correctly, however when I printed it out it reverted to
the old format (although nothing had changed). I had to go in and manually
change the {PAGE}of {SECTIONPAGES} pages to a 5 (manually) when I printed it
out.