Tommycat

Default Word Document text shortcut being read accros speakers

I know there is a keyboard shortcut to have text in a word document read out
loud across your speekers. I can not remeber it though and have tried
several key functions.
Opinicus

"Tommycat" wrote

I know there is a keyboard shortcut to have text in a word
document read out
loud across your speekers. I can not remeber it though
and have tried
several key functions.

There's a text-to-speech function in Excel but I'm unaware
of there being one in Word. (Talking about Office XP here.)

Excel's text-to-speech function is controlled from a "Text
to Speech" toolbar and will be installed on first use if it
hasn't been already.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Pat Garard

G'Day Tommycat,

ToolsSpeech .....
....there is not a shortcut key.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Tommycat" wrote in message
I know there is a keyboard shortcut to have text in a word document read
out
loud across your speekers. I can not remeber it though and have tried
several key functions.

Pat Garard

G'Day (again) Tommycat,

Please try the following:
Right-Click the Windows Task bar.
Click "Toolbars"
Click "Language bar"

If that is successful then:
Right Click the Language bar (it will be on the task bar)
Click "Restore the Language bar"
Position it somewhere convenient (near the top?) on the
Screen.

Start Word.

At the Right hand end of the Language bar:
Click the tiny Drop Arrow and ensure that "Speak Text"
is ticked
This will put a "Speak" button on the Language bar.

(The "Speak" button may not be available unless the active
window contains a program that supports recognition. That
is why you need to start Word.)

If you select text, clicking "Speak Text" will "read" the
selection, otherwise it will "read" the document beginning at
the current insertion point.

If any of these steps fails, search WINDOWS XP "Help and
Support" (StartHelp and Support) for "text to speech" - see
the article on "Text to speech overview".
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Tommycat" wrote in message
I know there is a keyboard shortcut to have text in a word document read
out
loud across your speekers. I can not remeber it though and have tried
several key functions.

Opinicus

"Pat Garard" apgarardATbigpondDOTnetDOTau wrote

Start Word.
At the Right hand end of the Language bar:
Click the tiny Drop Arrow and ensure that "Speak Text"
is ticked

"Speak text" is not an option there. All I see is:

quote
Help
Additional icons in task bar
Adjust the language band position
Settings
Restore defaults
/quote

What else do I need to do? (Using WinXP Home (all updates in
place) and Office XP (ditto).)

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Opinicus

"Pat Garard" apgarardATbigpondDOTnetDOTau

If any of these steps fails, search WINDOWS XP "Help and
Support" (StartHelp and Support) for "text to speech" -
see
the article on "Text to speech overview".

I checked that before asking, Pat. I get the impression from
it that I need to *install* speech recognition for this to
work. How do I do that?

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Pat Garard

G'Day Once More,

Most of what you need is installed on the PC by default.

The 'install' that you require is more like an 'enabling' - it
uses Memory and other resources....

In Control Panel, open
Regional and Language Options
Languages (tab)
Details (button)
Settings (tab)
Add (button)
Select a Language
OK
Advanced (tab)
Consider CHECKing the Top box (Extend...)
OK
OK
--
Regards,