Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
maggie_simpson maggie_simpson is offline

Default long hyperlink formatting

I am in the process of creating brochures and other outreach materials which
includes typing hyperlinks into paragraphs of text. If the hyperlink is
especially long (and begins part way through a line of text), the entire
hyperlink moves to the next line. Is there a way to wrap the text of a
hyperlink without altering the URL? I have tried adding a hyphen to the
hyperlink, but it appears in the URL and then sends users to the wrong place.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Better than adding a hyphen is to insert a no-width optional break (see the
Special Characters tab of the Symbol dialog). Note that the display text of
your hyperlink can be different from the underlying URL, so if you edit the
display text, you will not be affecting the link itself.

"maggie_simpson" wrote in message
I am in the process of creating brochures and other outreach materials
which
includes typing hyperlinks into paragraphs of text. If the hyperlink is
especially long (and begins part way through a line of text), the entire
hyperlink moves to the next line. Is there a way to wrap the text of a
hyperlink without altering the URL? I have tried adding a hyphen to the
hyperlink, but it appears in the URL and then sends users to the wrong
place.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
maggie_simpson maggie_simpson is offline

It's true that the display text is unaffected in Word when adding a special
character, but when converted to a PDF, the hyphen (or other characters)
appear in the link. Any thoughts on that? Is that an Adobe issue?

Thanks for your help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Better than adding a hyphen is to insert a no-width optional break (see the
Special Characters tab of the Symbol dialog). Note that the display text of
your hyperlink can be different from the underlying URL, so if you edit the
display text, you will not be affecting the link itself.

"maggie_simpson" wrote in message
I am in the process of creating brochures and other outreach materials
which
includes typing hyperlinks into paragraphs of text. If the hyperlink is
especially long (and begins part way through a line of text), the entire
hyperlink moves to the next line. Is there a way to wrap the text of a
hyperlink without altering the URL? I have tried adding a hyphen to the
hyperlink, but it appears in the URL and then sends users to the wrong
place.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, that would be the argument for using the No Width Optional Break (or
just an ordinary space); if the printed result is all that matters, then
there's no problem. If you're saying that Adobe interprets the display text
as the actual URL, then yes, that's an Adobe issue.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Formatting Long Word Docs mnmedia Microsoft Word Help 1 November 4th 08 10:57 PM
How long a hyperlink could be? geotso New Users 7 February 19th 08 08:25 PM
Hyperlink Tag-a-long bw New Users 0 August 14th 07 09:46 AM
Long Doc Formatting Assistance Pete Formatting Long Documents 3 November 8th 06 06:05 PM
hyperlink footnotes in long document to documents on hard drive Mossy Microsoft Word Help 0 February 16th 06 11:59 PM