Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CJM Type CJM Type is offline

Default Allow Form Users to Format Text

I created a form in Word. Is there a way to allow the user (the person who is
filling in the form with information) to format the text that they input into
the fields; e.g., if they want to make a word bold or italic, can they do so?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Q0pNIFR5cGU=?=,

I created a form in Word. Is there a way to allow the user (the person who is
filling in the form with information) to format the text that they input into
the fields; e.g., if they want to make a word bold or italic, can they do so?

If you're using form fields and forms protection, then this is only possible
using a macro. And if the form fields are within a table, then the macro would
be non-trivial (because the user can't select characters within a form field
embedded in a table cell).

The macro, outside a table, is fairly trivial:

Sub FormBold()
Dim doc as Word.Document

Set doc = ActiveDocument
if doc.ProtectionType wdNoProtection Then
doc.Unprotect
End If
Selection.font.Bold = true
doc.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset:=True
End Sub

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nina Nina is offline

Hello Cindy,

I'm just wondering when do you invoke the macro? When your cursor is within
the form field?

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?Q0pNIFR5cGU=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CJM Type[_2_] CJM Type[_2_] is offline

Thank you for the input and instruction. You answered my question.

"CJM Type" wrote:

I created a form in Word. Is there a way to allow the user (the person who is
filling in the form with information) to format the text that they input into
the fields; e.g., if they want to make a word bold or italic, can they do so?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Nina,

I'm just wondering when do you invoke the macro? When your cursor is within
the form field?

In the context of the original question, the user makes a selection then clicks
a button (or presses a keyboard shortcut). So, yes, the selection is in the
form field.