Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lenox Lenox is offline

Default Tables Properties|Cell|Options|Fit Text

Using Word 2003 does the "Fit Text" option cause text to shrink on overflow?
If not what does it do? and I can't get it to work if that is what it's
supposed to do.

Thanks
Lenox
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Not sure what you're referring to -- "AutoFit to Text" makes the
column width shrink (or expand) to accommodate the longest string of
unbreakable characters (usually a whole word) anywhere in a column.

On Dec 9, 9:00*pm, Lenox wrote:
Using Word 2003 does the "Fit Text" option cause text to shrink on overflow? *
If not what does it do? and I can't get it to work if that is what it's
supposed to do.

Thanks
Lenox

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

He's referring to the "Fit text" option in Cell Options in Table Properties.
It should reduce the font size to fit the cell.

http://word.mvps.org

On Dec 9, 9:00 pm, Lenox wrote:
Using Word 2003 does the "Fit Text" option cause text to shrink on
overflow?
If not what does it do? and I can't get it to work if that is what it's
supposed to do.

Thanks
Lenox

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lenox Lenox is offline

Exactly. I found that it works only if the text is one continuous sentence.
If there is a carriage return it does not shrink. Is there any way to change
that? We use it in mail merge for labels and if an address is too long it
just gets truncated. Wrapping is not an option in this case. Any
suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Lenox

On Dec 9, 9:00 pm, Lenox wrote:
Using Word 2003 does the "Fit Text" option cause text to shrink on
overflow?
If not what does it do? and I can't get it to work if that is what it's
supposed to do.

Thanks
Lenox

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

By "carriage return" I imagine you mean a paragraph break. Do you get the
same results if you use a line break (Shift+Enter) instead?

http://word.mvps.org

On Dec 9, 9:00 pm, Lenox wrote:
Using Word 2003 does the "Fit Text" option cause text to shrink on
overflow?
If not what does it do? and I can't get it to work if that is what it's
supposed to do.

Thanks
Lenox

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lenox Lenox is offline

Yes. Paragraph Break. I'm showing my age.

I don't think I can (or at least don't know how to) control those (line
break, paragraph break) in an address block that's created through a mail
merge. Can it be done?

On Dec 9, 9:00 pm, Lenox wrote:
Using Word 2003 does the "Fit Text" option cause text to shrink on
overflow?
If not what does it do? and I can't get it to work if that is what it's
supposed to do.

Thanks
Lenox

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you're using the "Address Block" merge field, then no, you can't control
them, but if you insert each merge field (First Name, Last Name, etc.)
manually, you can use line breaks. Alternatively, after merging you can
replace ^p with ^l (lowercase L). This won't affect the last line because
labels, as table cells, have an end-of-cell marker instead of a paragraph
break at the end.

http://word.mvps.org

On Dec 9, 9:00 pm, Lenox wrote:
Using Word 2003 does the "Fit Text" option cause text to shrink on
overflow?
If not what does it do? and I can't get it to work if that is what
it's
supposed to do.

Thanks
Lenox

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lenox Lenox is offline

Thanks very much but it didn't work. When the merge is completed, only the
first line of the label is sized and instead of changing the font size it is
kerned.

Lenox