Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Satish Jadhav[_2_] Satish Jadhav[_2_] is offline

Default Save uploaded file in WordML (XML) format

Hi,

I have a area where a user uploads a file and I want to save the uploaded
file as .XML document (WordML Format), in back ground programmatically.

As this is possible by opening a file in background and saving a file in
different format.

For e.g.
object o_format = Word.WdSaveFormat.wdFormatXML;

but here we have to say €śdocument_object.Open()€ť. The problem is when the
concurent user do the same operation, (Performance Issue).
Is there any way I can save a uploaded doc file in xml format with opening
uploaded file in background ?

Thx,
Satish Jadhav.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Satish,

I have a area where a user uploads a file and I want to save the uploaded
file as .XML document (WordML Format), in back ground programmatically.

As this is possible by opening a file in background and saving a file in
different format.

For e.g.
object o_format = Word.WdSaveFormat.wdFormatXML;

but here we have to say €śdocument_object.Open()€ť. The problem is when the
concurent user do the same operation, (Performance Issue).
Is there any way I can save a uploaded doc file in xml format with opening
uploaded file in background ?

No. Unless you can find a third-party tool that can convert the binary file
format to the XML file format. (Or program one yourself, but the task would be
decidedly non-trivial.)

Why not ask the user to save in the correct file format?

Or, make a copy of the file and put it somewhere the user cannot access it. Open
and convert this file, then replace the other, when it's not locked. Of course,
the possibility exists that the user may make changes that will then be lost.
But you run this danger under your current scenario, as well. A Word document
cannot be opened and modified by more than one user.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)