Monica Giannini via OfficeKB.com

Default Endnotes in a Master Document

I'm doing my boss a favor by putting together her husbands book for
publishing, but I've never done this before and I'm frustrated.

What it is I need to do is create his files (chapters) in a masterdocument
for consecutive page numbering, but have each chapters endnotes appear at
the end of each chapter and have them labeled i.e. Notes to Chapter 1 and
be able to print these seperate from the masterdocument itself.

I've never worked with this sort of formatting before, so what happened is
I just put in all the documents into a masterdocument and found that the
endnotes to each chapter go to the end of the document and are not
seperated. So endnotes appear 1 through 500 and are numbered as such in
the document itself instead of 1-20 for chapter one and so fourth.

I need baby steps as I've never done this before and now wish I never
agreed to do this, since it is a favor and not part of my daily
administrative assistant duties.

Thomas Campitelli

Howdy Monica,

How wedded are you to using the Master Document feature? I would highly
recommend using other means to achieve your ends. Check out these links
for why master documents are best avoided:

http://www.addbalance.com/word/masterdocuments.htm

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Wh...ocsCorrupt.htm

Just a little quote to spark your interest (from
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RecoverMasterDocs.htm):

"Master documents have been fatally buggy since Word 6, and remain so
through Word 2000. If you use them you lose them. They must never be
used for valuable text.

There is no way to successfully and safely use master documents. They
always corrupt eventually."

I realize this doesn't address your initial question, but you might want
to try some other method to put the book together. Look into the
tech-tav macros if you can.

http://www.tech-tav.com/macro.htm

I wish you luck.

Thomas Campitelli

Monica Giannini via OfficeKB.com wrote:
[...]

Thomas - thank you very much - now I can stop pulling out my hair. I use
Word 2000 at work and XP at home and well I think that corruption bit came
to life at home, my masterdocument froze and I can't get into any of the
subdocuments. The doc is only 267 pages long so I think I'll just consult
my boss and just make this into one long document as suggested by the sites
you pointed me to.

Again, thank you so much for your advice.

Regards,
Monica Giannini