Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dylan.Ward Dylan.Ward is offline

Default Hard To Describe...But I Have A Problem...

So, I was helping out my girlfriend and one of her friends typing some
addresses for them. The friend sent me the template on word she wanted for
her labels. I finished half of them yesterday and was going to do the other
half today. However, my gf saved and closed the document last night. She
saved it under the templates folder. This morning I go to get started on it
again and when I open the document it is blank but the file size is 30kb so I
know all the work I did yesterday has to be there somewhere and for some
reason is not appearing. I've done all that I can trying to extract the data
but I'm not too familiar with Microsoft Word and all of its
features/components. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I suspect you got the file via email and although you saved it, you didn't
change the location where the file was changed. Are you positive it was
saved to the templates folder - that's not the usual place to save a file
unless you specifically tell it to save it as a template.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Dylan.Ward" wrote in message
So, I was helping out my girlfriend and one of her friends typing some
addresses for them. The friend sent me the template on word she wanted for
her labels. I finished half of them yesterday and was going to do the
other
half today. However, my gf saved and closed the document last night. She
saved it under the templates folder. This morning I go to get started on
it
again and when I open the document it is blank but the file size is 30kb
so I
know all the work I did yesterday has to be there somewhere and for some
reason is not appearing. I've done all that I can trying to extract the
data
but I'm not too familiar with Microsoft Word and all of its
features/components. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dylan.Ward[_2_] Dylan.Ward[_2_] is offline

Yes, it was received via e-mail as an attachment, forgot to mention that. I'm
not exactly sure on what you mean by "you didn't change the location where
the file was changed." But yes, she saved it to the templates folder.

"Dylan.Ward" wrote in message
So, I was helping out my girlfriend and one of her friends typing some
addresses for them. The friend sent me the template on word she wanted for
her labels. I finished half of them yesterday and was going to do the
other
half today. However, my gf saved and closed the document last night. She
saved it under the templates folder. This morning I go to get started on
it
again and when I open the document it is blank but the file size is 30kb
so I
know all the work I did yesterday has to be there somewhere and for some
reason is not appearing. I've done all that I can trying to extract the
data
but I'm not too familiar with Microsoft Word and all of its
features/components. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

By default, it would be saved to a "temp" (i.e., temporary) folder. I
suspect she misinterpreted that as "templates." Files saved to temp folders
are just that--temporary.

http://word.mvps.org

"Dylan.Ward" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dylan.Ward[_2_] Dylan.Ward[_2_] is offline

Well, I can access the file and open it. The problem is that the work which
should be there isn't.

"Dylan.Ward" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dylan.Ward[_2_] Dylan.Ward[_2_] is offline

Problem resolved after a very thorough search of all the documents on my
computer. Was saved under a different file name than what she had named it,
so an auto save I suppose to the desktop for some reason...I didn't even
think of checking there earlier figuring it couldn't possibly be there but in
becoming desperate after searching pretty much everywhere it made sense too
I decided to look anyway. So, thanks for the suggestions everyone.