Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Njdao Njdao is offline

Default How do I combine several word files into one continuous document

I'm writting a text book. All the chapters are in separate files for ease of
editing. Now I need to produce one continuous manuscript for the publishers
with page numbering, table of contents etc. I suppose I could cut and paste
all the files into one file and work from that. But there must be a more
elegant method than that.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dylane dylane is offline

Which version of Word are you using? In 2003 I know there is an insert file
command.

I've also used a Word add-on that makes assembling from multiple files a bit
easier. It is the boiler.zip file located on Graham Mayor's site linked to
below. This tends to make things a fair bit easier when trying to assemble
multiple files into one single document.

http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm

One warning, what seems like it should be "easy" and elegant, is often
anything but, and often formatting gets very screwed up. Speaking from lots
of personal experience here.

Good Luck

"Njdao" wrote:

I'm writting a text book. All the chapters are in separate files for ease of
editing. Now I need to produce one continuous manuscript for the publishers
with page numbering, table of contents etc. I suppose I could cut and paste
all the files into one file and work from that. But there must be a more
elegant method than that.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In 2007 it's Insert Object (almost at the right end, bottom of a
list) Text From File. (Even though you're not inserting an object,
and even though it doesn't have to be "text," and it's not "from" the
file, it's the whole file.)

"Njdao" wrote:
I'm writting a text book. All the chapters are in separate files for ease of
editing. Now I need to produce one continuous manuscript for the publishers
with page numbering, table of contents etc. I suppose I could cut and paste
all the files into one file and work from that. But there must be a more
elegant method than that.-

tigaroda tigaroda is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylane View Post

"Njdao" wrote:

I'm writting a text book. All the chapters are in separate files for ease of
editing. Now I need to produce one continuous manuscript for the publishers
with page numbering, table of contents etc. I suppose I could cut and paste
all the files into one file and work from that. But there must be a more
elegant method than that.
dylane, thanks for tips.
When i final task in my college, i confuse like this case.
SO i cut and paste all file to produce in one file.
It make tired and many data must check again..
Thank you very much for this tips.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rakesh rakesh is offline

Default How do I combine several word files into one continuous docume

I tried this plugin, it works good. but i am unable to retain the same page
numbers. is there a workaround for this? please advice.

"Njdao" wrote:
I'm writting a text book. All the chapters are in separate files for ease of
editing. Now I need to produce one continuous manuscript for the publishers
with page numbering, table of contents etc. I suppose I could cut and paste
all the files into one file and work from that. But there must be a more
elegant method than that.-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You would have to reset the page numbering to the required numbering at each
section break. I'll have a look, when I have a few minutes spare, to see if
the code can be modified to take account of existing page numbering
sequences.
An alternative would be to output each document to PDF format and then use
Acrobat (not the free reader) to combine the PDFs into a single larger PDF.