Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
grasshopper1947 grasshopper1947 is offline

Default Resize a background picture

Windows XP
Word 2000

I downloaded a picture from fotolia.com to use as a background in a document
I am creating using Word 2000 and which I will publish to my website.

When I insert the picture in "web view" as a background, it is so huge that
all I can see on the web page is just a small area in the upper left corner
of the picture. If I move the horizontal and virtical scroll bars, I can see
the whole picture.

How can I re-size the picture so it will just fill my document window,
so I can see the whole thing on one page?

Thanks in advance
steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
grasshopper1947 grasshopper1947 is offline

Okay, I did an | Insert | Picture | From File | /Desktop/MyBackgndImage/ |
I resized it to 20% according to your directions.

Then when I did a | Format | Background | Fill Effects | Other Texture |
Select Texture |

I realized that I cannot select the picture I just resized inside my document!

Because of the choices in the "Select Texture" window, I can only tell it to

So I saved my resized picture from the document to the desktop. Then when I
directed the "Select Texture" window to go pick that saved image, I got about
20 or 30 small images all tiled and repeated in the background.

What am I doing wrong?

grasshopper1947 wrote:
Windows XP
Word 2000

I downloaded a picture from fotolia.com to use as a background in a
document I am creating using Word 2000 and which I will publish to my
website.

When I insert the picture in "web view" as a background, it is so
huge that all I can see on the web page is just a small area in the
upper left corner of the picture. If I move the horizontal and
virtical scroll bars, I can see the whole picture.

How can I re-size the picture so it will just fill my document window,
so I can see the whole thing on one page?

Thanks in advance
steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

OK, I see what you are doing. The Fill effect option inserts the picture at
full size. If the picture overfills the page it is cropped. If it underfills
the page it is tiled to fill the available space. You would need to first
scale the image to the exact size of the page in order to insert it in this
manner.

Background images are intended for html documents, at which Word is less
than brilliant. What is the aim of the requirement? You could, for example
insert the image on the page, scale to fit and set its layout option to
behind text.

grasshopper1947 wrote:
Okay, I did an | Insert | Picture | From File |
/Desktop/MyBackgndImage/ | I resized it to 20% according to your
directions.

Then when I did a | Format | Background | Fill Effects | Other
Texture | Select Texture |

I realized that I cannot select the picture I just resized inside my
document!

Because of the choices in the "Select Texture" window, I can only
tell it to go back to /Desktop/MyBackgndImage/ (which is the original
huge picture).

grasshopper1947 wrote:
Windows XP
Word 2000

I downloaded a picture from fotolia.com to use as a background in a
document I am creating using Word 2000 and which I will publish to
my website.

When I insert the picture in "web view" as a background, it is so
huge that all I can see on the web page is just a small area in the
upper left corner of the picture. If I move the horizontal and
virtical scroll bars, I can see the whole picture.

How can I re-size the picture so it will just fill my document
window, so I can see the whole thing on one page?

Thanks in advance
steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
grasshopper1947 grasshopper1947 is offline

I am trying to build an index web page (home page) using a Word Document.
I want a picture of a UFO as the background to the web page.
I will then print text and other images over the UFO background.
I'm all open to any suggestions you have regarding a better way to do this.

I have MS Office 2000, which includes Front Page.
But I'm not familiar (or comfortable) with it's use. However I'm willing to
learn.

grasshopper1947 wrote:
Windows XP
Word 2000

I downloaded a picture from fotolia.com to use as a background in a
document I am creating using Word 2000 and which I will publish to
my website.

When I insert the picture in "web view" as a background, it is so
huge that all I can see on the web page is just a small area in the
upper left corner of the picture. If I move the horizontal and
virtical scroll bars, I can see the whole picture.

How can I re-size the picture so it will just fill my document
window, so I can see the whole thing on one page?

Thanks in advance
steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

As you have FrontPage, this is a much better tool than Word for creating and
managing web pages and fairly straightforward to use, however it still has
the basic issue that background images in html will tile or crop if they are
the wrong size for the page. html documents do not conform to pages.

grasshopper1947 wrote:
Windows XP
Word 2000

I downloaded a picture from fotolia.com to use as a background in
a document I am creating using Word 2000 and which I will publish
to my website.

When I insert the picture in "web view" as a background, it is so
huge that all I can see on the web page is just a small area in
the upper left corner of the picture. If I move the horizontal and
virtical scroll bars, I can see the whole picture.

How can I re-size the picture so it will just fill my document
window, so I can see the whole thing on one page?

Thanks in advance
steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
grasshopper1947 grasshopper1947 is offline

So tell me, please,
How in the heck do people who put up web pages with background pictures
do that?

That's all I want to know.

grasshopper1947 wrote:
Windows XP
Word 2000

I downloaded a picture from fotolia.com to use as a background in
a document I am creating using Word 2000 and which I will publish
to my website.

When I insert the picture in "web view" as a background, it is so
huge that all I can see on the web page is just a small area in
the upper left corner of the picture. If I move the horizontal and
virtical scroll bars, I can see the whole picture.

How can I re-size the picture so it will just fill my document
window, so I can see the whole thing on one page?

Thanks in advance
steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
grasshopper1947 grasshopper1947 is offline

Oooops. I just realized that this is a Word newsgroup.
I'll go post my question in a different newsgroup.
And thanks, Graham, for your patience and for your help.