reballi

Default Stop Word document

How do I stop a MS Word document from opening whenever I boot up my PC?
--
roboref

Remove the Word shortcut from the Windows Startup folder.

"reballi" wrote in message
How do I stop a MS Word document from opening whenever I boot up my PC?
--
roboref

Are you saying that when you start Windows Word loads and opens an existing
document? Is there a shortcut to that document in the Windows Startup
folder?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Remove the Word shortcut from the Windows Startup folder.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"reballi" wrote in message
How do I stop a MS Word document from opening whenever I boot up my

PC?
--
roboref

Cris Fuhrman

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message ...
Remove the Word shortcut from the Windows Startup folder.

Hi Suzanne,

I'm having this same problem -- I noticed it after an auto-update on
XP Professional two weeks or so ago. Auto-updates sometimes make the
PC reboot if you're not around to stop it (not that you'd want to...).
When I logged into my PC after this forced reboot, the first thing I
noticed was that Word opened, although the document it was opening
wasn't visible, but then it closes again.

I'm an educated user -- been using word since the days when mice were
hooked to the serial port of a PC. I admit I'm not aware of how this
is happening under XP. There is _no_ shortcut in my startup folder
(that I can see, anyway). The "Microsoft office" shortcut was there,
but I've since removed it to no effect.

I've booted a couple of times to see what's going on in the Task
Manager -- in fact, I see that EXCEL.exe and POWERPNT.exe are also
running around the same time that my Word window appears, although
they never show up as running applications.

My anti-virus is up to date, my firewall has always been turned on, I
never open attachments. I doubt it's a trojan horse or any spyware - I
use Firefox and not IE.

Any other ideas of where to look?