Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

Default Best way to pull separate files into one file -- Word 2003

what is the best way to put eight separate chapter files into one long file
in Word 2003, so formating, etc, stays the same in the various files? thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Reitanos Reitanos is offline

"Best" is relative, but Word has a Master Document feature that may
work well for you.

Switch to Outline view and there are a series of buttons on the right
of the Outlining toolbar that are for working with master/sub
documents.

On Feb 2, 10:46*am, removing all headers and footers
t.com wrote:
what is the best way to put eight separate chapter files into one long file
in Word 2003, so formating, etc, stays the same in the various files? thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Depends on what you mean by "the same." Uniform throughout the compiled
document or the same as in each constituent document? The first is
relatively easy, the second extremely difficult.

http://word.mvps.org

t.com wrote in message

what is the best way to put eight separate chapter files into one long
file
in Word 2003, so formating, etc, stays the same in the various files?
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Master Document is deeply flawed and should only be used with extreme
caution or you could lose your documents.
If all the documents are similarly formatted, you could use the boiler.dot
add-in that you can download from my web site to combine them.

t.com wrote:
what is the best way to put eight separate chapter files into one
long file in Word 2003, so formating, etc, stays the same in the
various files? thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

Hi, I downloaded boiler.dot, installed it in startup, and the taskbar comes
up now in my Word 2003, but it will only show folders, and not the files
within the folders??

So I cannot get to files to insert them in my open file? JF

t.com wrote:
what is the best way to put eight separate chapter files into one
long file in Word 2003, so formating, etc, stays the same in the
various files? thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Because unless you are 1000% certain that you are doing the correct thing or
if you make a miniscule error, you can destroy some or all of the
sub-documents in one easy move.

Try it by all means but have separate backups of all the documents before
you start and keep making additional back ups during the process so that you
can move back a step at a time when the disaster occurs.

It is seriously difficult to use it.

Terry

t.com wrote in message

what is the best way to put eight separate chapter files into one long
file
in Word 2003, so formating, etc, stays the same in the various files?
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

thanks for the warning. I cannot make graham's boiler thing work, as it will
not allow all files to show in Word 2003 dialogue box.. Is there any other
way to combine chapters into one file?

t.com wrote in message

what is the best way to put eight separate chapter files into one long
file
in Word 2003, so formating, etc, stays the same in the various files?
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I believe you just put all the documents you want to combine into a single
folder and then point to that folder, but it should still be possible to
select the order in which you want the documents to appear.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Depends on what you mean by "the same." Uniform throughout the
compiled
document or the same as in each constituent document? The first is
relatively easy, the second extremely difficult.

http://word.mvps.org

"removing all headers and footers"
t.com wrote in
message

what is the best way to put eight separate chapter files into one
long
file
in Word 2003, so formating, etc, stays the same in the various
files?
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you read the title bar of the dialog box you will see that it requires
you to select the folder that contains the files.Only after you have
selected a folder that contains documents will it display them in the user
form. This is all explained in the documentation that came with the add-in.

t.com wrote:
what is the best way to put eight separate chapter files into one
long file in Word 2003, so formating, etc, stays the same in the
various files? thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
amy amy is offline

When I wanted to combine all my thesis chapters into a single document, I
just copied and pasted each chapter into a separate section of the main
document. Probably not the most efficient solution, but it worked for me (I
was really careful to use the same styles etc. for all the chapters).

t.com wrote in message

what is the best way to put eight separate chapter files into one long
file
in Word 2003, so formating, etc, stays the same in the various files?
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jan Groshan Jan Groshan is offline

You can also probably use "insert text file" at the end of each section to
insert the next section.