Eric

Default Installing Word 2000 on top of 2003

HI,

I have installed Office 2003 on my new computer and would like to install
Word 2000 on the computer as well. Is there any way to keep the both programs
on the computer and running separately without having to partition my disk?
If so how?
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:55:03 -0800, "Eric"
wrote:

HI,

I have installed Office 2003 on my new computer and would like to install
Word 2000 on the computer as well. Is there any way to keep the both programs
on the computer and running separately without having to partition my disk?
If so how?

If you install both versions in the same partition, they don't play
very well together because they use a lot of the same registry
entries. Each time you use one version and then start the other, the
second one will want to reinstall or repair itself.

They also want to use the same copy of Normal.dot, although that isn't
a real big deal -- except that you can't run both copies
simultaneously because the first one to start gets a lock on the
template.

If you can afford it, I highly recommend getting Virtual PC 2004 or
another virtual machine program. Each VM thinks it owns the whole PC,
has its own OS and its own registry, and is blissfully unaware of any
others. With Virtual PC, I can run simultaneous copies of Word 97,
2000, 2002, and 2003 (well, not quite -- the performance hit is too
big to actively run more than two VMs at a time, but all four versions
are installed). The downside is that you need a separate OS license
for each virtual machine, in addition to the Virtual PC program.
That's why an MSDN subscription is handy. :-)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman