Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Greg is offline

Default Updateable Field Per Page Showing Next Version No. When Edited

Lexy,

Your first goal will be to explain to your client that a Word document
doesn't really consist of objects that you and I think of as pages. What we
seen on screen and in the printed form is an interpretation of the Word
document in the eyes of the individual printer driver. Since mine is likely
different than your and yours different from your clients we could all three
see and print something entirely different.

See: http://daiya.mvps.org/wordpages.htm

Now let's say that there was a way around that obstacle. Next you are faced
with there is nothing in Word to automatically detect a changed page. Is
this something that you are looking to do manually?

It is possible to position a textbox in the margin to hold some descriptive
text some data. For instance this crude macro calculates the number of word
per page (again suject to the issues stated above) and shows the results in a
textbox:

Sub ComputeWordsPerPage()
Dim oRng As Word.Range
Dim i As Long
Dim oShape As Shape
Dim oCount As Long
Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Content
oRng.Collapse wdCollapseStart
oRng.Select
i = 1
Do
On Error Resume Next
Set oShape = ActiveDocument.Shapes("Page " & i & " word count")
oShape.Delete
On Error GoTo 0
Set oRng = Selection.Bookmarks("\Page").Range
oCount = oRng.ComputeStatistics(wdStatisticWords)
oRng.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
oRng.Move wdCharacter, -1
Set oShape =
ActiveDocument.Shapes.AddTextbox(msoTextOrientatio nHorizontal, 0, 0, 160, 24)
With oShape
.Name = "Page " & i & " word count"
.TextFrame.TextRange.Text = "This page contains " & oCount & " words."
.Fill.ForeColor = wdColorLightYellow
.Left = InchesToPoints(0)
.RelativeHorizontalPosition = wdRelativeHorizontalPositionPage
.Top = InchesToPoints(9.25)
.RelativeVerticalPosition = wdRelativeVerticalPositionPage
.LockAnchor = True
End With
oRng.Move wdCharacter, 1
oRng.Select
i = i + 1
Loop Until oRng.End = ActiveDocument.Range.End - 1
End Sub

"Lexy" wrote:

Hi guys

I have no idea if you will be able to help - I've never been asked this one
before.

My client wants to be able to update the Version Number in each individual
page of a document each time the page is edited in some way. so for
instance, the Version number for all pages will begin at Version 1, then if
page 42 is edited in any way, it will become Version 2, but all other
unedited pages reamin at Version 1, until edited themselves. Obviously as
time goes by, some pages that are edited a lot will be completely different
version numbers to other pages, but this is what the client needs.

My second challenge is where to place this updatable version field - placing
in header/footer areas will cause probs as obviously with linked headers and
footers, i won't be able to change the version number in each page, not
without an awful lot of work re-jigging the sections etc.

is there any way to be able to place say for instance, this updateable
version number field in the margin, so it can be seen on the doc, but is
quite separate to the rest of the text?

Thanks for any help or suggestions guys.

Lexy
--
Lexy