Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Manjoney Bob Manjoney is offline

Default Default Save Format not sticking in Word 2007/Vista

I have changed the default format to save documents to "Web Page, Filtered".
(Office Button--Word Options--Save--Save files in this format--Web Page,
Filtered).

When I create a new document, and save, it saves to this format correctly
the first time.

When I re-open a Web Page, filtered document, make changes, and save it
again, it no longer saves it to Web Page, Filtered, but as a standard Web
Page (and hence with all the proprietary MS Word formatting tags that I am
trying to eliminate).

This seems like a bug - what am I doing wrong? Is there a patch? Known bug?
Workaround?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It works as you wish ONLY when saving a newly created file. I'm pretty sure
that this is "Working as designed", although the option should be called
"Save NEW files in this format" rather than "Save files in this format".

A requirement for this to work as you want--as I understand it--is that Word
would need filters for opening and saving a file in the target format. "HTML
Filtered" is not a format Word can use in opening a document. If you set
Word to Confirm file format conversion on open (Advanced options, General
section), you'll see that it's opening the file using "HTML
Document"--nothing about filtering. Hence, your only option to retain the
Filtered state is to explicitly use Save As when resaving the file. You can
make it more automatic by using a macro that explicitly does the desired
Save As format.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Bob Manjoney" wrote in message
I have changed the default format to save documents to "Web Page,
Filtered".
(Office Button--Word Options--Save--Save files in this format--Web
Page,
Filtered).

When I create a new document, and save, it saves to this format correctly
the first time.

When I re-open a Web Page, filtered document, make changes, and save it
again, it no longer saves it to Web Page, Filtered, but as a standard Web
Page (and hence with all the proprietary MS Word formatting tags that I am
trying to eliminate).

This seems like a bug - what am I doing wrong? Is there a patch? Known
bug?
Workaround?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Manjoney Bob Manjoney is offline

Thanks, but... I availed myself of paid tech support and the assessment I
received today after it was escalated to the development team is that this is
indeed a bug.

I am waiting now till Tues/Wed as to whether or not a hotfix/patch will be
in the pipeline.