Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
silentpro silentpro is offline

Default Using Formulas in a Word Table

I'm using word '07 & have a table in there that acts much like a roster of
people.

I would like to have checkboxes going down each column & at the bottom row
total the amount of ticked checkboxes.
I tried the formula =IF(C2:C36, "TRUE") & I get a syntax error.

I also would like the total the amount of peoples names in another column.
I tried =COUNTIF(B2:B36, "*")

Are these formulas not allowed in Word? I know they will work in Excel,
but I need to do this in a word doc.

Is there another way to do what I'm wanting to do?

Please help....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi silentpro,

Unfortunately, there's no way for a formula field in Word to test the state of a checkbox formfield (which I presume is what you are
using). You need to use vba for this. However, you could use a seies of dropdown formfields, where the user selects 1 or 0 and use a
formula field to do the calculations based on that.

Also, Word's supported range of formulae is nowhere near as rich as Excel's - you can't use SUMIF, for example - and the syntax is
different. To see how to do a wide range of other calculations in Word, check out my Word Field Maths Tutorial, at:
http://www.wopr.com/index.php?showtopic=365442
or
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm#Third_party

--
Cheers
macropod

"silentpro" wrote in message ...
I'm using word '07 & have a table in there that acts much like a roster of people.

I would like to have checkboxes going down each column & at the bottom row total the amount of ticked checkboxes.
I tried the formula =IF(C2:C36, "TRUE") & I get a syntax error.

I also would like the total the amount of peoples names in another column.
I tried =COUNTIF(B2:B36, "*")

Are these formulas not allowed in Word? I know they will work in Excel, but I need to do this in a word doc.

Is there another way to do what I'm wanting to do?

Please help....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
silentpro silentpro is offline

thanks for the link... lotta cool stuff in there.

Is there a work around for what I'm trying to do? I didn't see it in your
math file....

I would like to count the number of cells in a column that have text in it.
I would also like to count the number of "TRUE" (ticked) checkboxes. Then
reference those totals in another cell elsewhere on the sheet.

"silentpro" wrote in message
I'm using word '07 & have a table in there that acts much like a roster
of people.

I would like to have checkboxes going down each column & at the bottom
row total the amount of ticked checkboxes.
I tried the formula =IF(C2:C36, "TRUE") & I get a syntax error.

I also would like the total the amount of peoples names in another
column.
I tried =COUNTIF(B2:B36, "*")

Are these formulas not allowed in Word? I know they will work in Excel,
but I need to do this in a word doc.

Is there another way to do what I'm wanting to do?

Please help....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi silentpro,

As I mentioned in my previous post, you could use a seies of dropdown formfields, where the user selects 1 or 0 and use a formula
field to do the calculations based on that. A suitable field code might look like:
{=SUM(C2:C36)}
or, if you're a masochist:
{={REF Dropdown1}+{REF Dropdown2}... +{REF Dropdown34}+{REF Dropdown35}}

Unfortunately, however, you can't use a formula field to count the cells containing the peoples' names unless there's a '1' (which
could be formatted as hidden text) and no other numbers in each of those cells - then you could use:
{=SUM(B2:B36)}

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above examples are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste
them from this message.

--
Cheers
macropod