Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jean39 Jean39 is offline

Default How2? Link blocks above and below to sort as one group?

I want to to create a list that sorts by name but have discrete blocks below
the name for entering related data (acct#, address, etc.) and then to have
the group of related blocks sort by the name in a column not a row.

Merging cells will not work. Neither do I know what verbiage to use in
researching this question.

I want the convenience of loading data into discrete cells but the ability
to sort related groups as if all the data were in one cell and I want it to
be in a column not a row.

TKU in advance for any assistance
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If your "blocks" were paragraphs, they would sort as desired. End each line
with a line break (Shift+Enter) instead of a paragraph break.

In a table, this can be handled only by having data in rows. This does not
preclude using the table as the mail merge data source for a
Catalog/Directory merge that creates a single column. This is actually a
much more flexible approach, as you can sort on any column in the table to
produce merged document for different purposes (for example, you can sort
alphabetically by last name to produce an address directory but by ZIP code
for printing labels or envelopes for bulk mailing).

For more on mail merges, see these articles:

How to create a Mail merge
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...AMailMerge.htm

Creating a mail merge Data Source
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...DataSource.htm

How to convert addresses into a Mail Merge Data Source
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMe...ToDatafile.htm

http://word.mvps.org