Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

Default Word on Word document on flash drive

It's often been said that it's not good to work on a Word document on a
diskette because it can get corrupted, due to the way Word creates temporary
versions of a document while it is open and having changes saved in it.

What about working on a Word document on a flash drive? Is that also a bad
idea?

Thanks,
Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Symes Dave Symes is offline

In article ,
Larry wrote:
It's often been said that it's not good to work on a Word document on a
diskette because it can get corrupted, due to the way Word creates
temporary versions of a document while it is open and having changes
saved in it.

What about working on a Word document on a flash drive? Is that also a
bad idea?

Thanks,
Larry

Which leads me to a slight aside.
Is it possible to switch OFF this function in Word, whereby it keeps temp
versions of the documant, including edits, changes etc etc?

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

No, unfortunately not.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Dave Symes" wrote in message
In article ,
Larry wrote:
It's often been said that it's not good to work on a Word document on a
diskette because it can get corrupted, due to the way Word creates
temporary versions of a document while it is open and having changes
saved in it.

What about working on a Word document on a flash drive? Is that also a
bad idea?

Thanks,
Larry

Which leads me to a slight aside.
Is it possible to switch OFF this function in Word, whereby it keeps temp
versions of the documant, including edits, changes etc etc?

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Given that SDHC Cards are now available in sizes of 32GB or more, one has to
be wary about being so definite on that point.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Yes.

http://word.mvps.org

"Larry" wrote in message
It's often been said that it's not good to work on a Word document on a
diskette because it can get corrupted, due to the way Word creates
temporary
versions of a document while it is open and having changes saved in it.

What about working on a Word document on a flash drive? Is that also a
bad
idea?

Thanks,
Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Doug

It is not just a size of memory issue, it is the speed of the memory (many
cards have really poor write speed), the performance of the USB port of that
motherboard and the performance of the device used to connect the SDHC card
to the USB port (some of these SDHC to USB mounting devices have very
limited performance).

Then there is always the nasty results of inadvertently pulling out the
device before Word has shut down and deleted all temp files that may have
been created - or worse if you have the document open and want to save it to
the local HDD too.

So although theoretically some of the newer devices will work
satisfactorily, I would not recommend it, especially for anything important.

Terry

"Larry" wrote in message
It's often been said that it's not good to work on a Word document on a
diskette because it can get corrupted, due to the way Word creates
temporary
versions of a document while it is open and having changes saved in it.

What about working on a Word document on a flash drive? Is that also a
bad
idea?

Thanks,
Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Terry,

For about a month now, I have been using an Eee PC with the 16GB SSD and
with a 32GB SDHC card in the SD slot. I have been storing all of my data on
the 32GB SDHC card without any problems. Of course, this is not connected
through a USB port and I do not (normally) remove the card.

--
Regards,

"Larry" wrote in message
It's often been said that it's not good to work on a Word document on a
diskette because it can get corrupted, due to the way Word creates
temporary
versions of a document while it is open and having changes saved in it.

What about working on a Word document on a flash drive? Is that also a
bad
idea?

Thanks,
Larry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Doug

The nub of the matter is that the SDHC is not encumbered by a slow
communication path in that set up. That encourages me to make a few tests. I
have a Samsung NC10 with a SD card slot. I also have a USB dongle for SD
cards. So I will test the difference in performance between using the SD
slot and the USB dongle using the same SDHC card.

Terry