Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Puzzled Puzzled is offline

Default Closing document shuts down Word window completely, why?

"When using Word and I close the individual document I'm working in, this
closes not only the document but the whole Word window which means I must
reopen the Window when I need to start another document."
Jay, further info for you.
I'm using 2003.
Yes, there is only the one x at the top right-hand.
Closing document using file menu results in window closing.
If the instruction is still to go to the "office button" ah hem, where is
that?
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you have only one document open in Word 2003, you should see two X's,
the red-and-white one for the application and a smaller one below it (next
to "Type a question for help") to close the document.

http://word.mvps.org

"Puzzled" wrote in message
"When using Word and I close the individual document I'm working in, this
closes not only the document but the whole Word window which means I must
reopen the Window when I need to start another document."
Jay, further info for you.
I'm using 2003.
Yes, there is only the one x at the top right-hand.
Closing document using file menu results in window closing.
If the instruction is still to go to the "office button" ah hem, where is
that?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Agreed; and, unlike Word 2007, the presence of the second X doesn't depend on
the setting of the "Windows in Taskbar" option -- it should always be there.

On the File menu, the Close command should close the document but leave the
program running. The Ctrl+W and Ctrl+F4 shortcuts do the same. If that isn't
working, there's something wrong with your installation; try running Help
Detect and Repair.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Puzzled" wrote in message
"When using Word and I close the individual document I'm working in, this
closes not only the document but the whole Word window which means I must
reopen the Window when I need to start another document."
Jay, further info for you.
I'm using 2003.
Yes, there is only the one x at the top right-hand.
Closing document using file menu results in window closing.
If the instruction is still to go to the "office button" ah hem, where is
that?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Puzzled Puzzled is offline

I don't have the second x to close the document . Perhaps I've
inadvertently switched it off without realising. How do I reinstate this
option in 2003 please?
Thank you for your help.

"Puzzled" wrote:

"When using Word and I close the individual document I'm working in, this
closes not only the document but the whole Word window which means I must
reopen the Window when I need to start another document."
Jay, further info for you.
I'm using 2003.
Yes, there is only the one x at the top right-hand.
Closing document using file menu results in window closing.
If the instruction is still to go to the "office button" ah hem, where is
that?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Puzzled Puzzled is offline

"Puzzled" wrote:

"When using Word and I close the individual document I'm working in, this
closes not only the document but the whole Word window which means I must
reopen the Window when I need to start another document."
Jay, further info for you.
I'm using 2003.
Yes, there is only the one x at the top right-hand.
Closing document using file menu results in window closing.
If the instruction is still to go to the "office button" ah hem, where is
that?
Thanks!

Yes, I do have the red cross with a smaller black cross underneath but both
close the application and if I go to menu, close, that also closes the
application. It seems that the suggestion before of having to run "detect
and repair" maybe my next best option as presumably the application has
screwed up somehow. I will backup and then run detect and repair (can I do
this just in Word?) and see if that helps.

Thank you one and all for your advice to date. Sorry am a novice with this
kind of group and didn't realise a new strand had started from my second
question, hence delay.