giddne

Default eliminating repetive typing

I'm running a mail campaign. When I type the persons first name in the
address line (I'm using a form field), I'd like the same name to be
automatically entered after "Dear".

John Doe
123 Main St.
Anywhere,

Dear John

Appreciate your time and help!
CyberTaz

Based on your reference to a 'mail campaign', are you familiar with Word's
Mail Merge features? If you are sending a form letter to multiple recipients
(even with a significant degree of personalization per letter) that would
provide what you are looking for much more effectively with a great deal more
options.

LOL |:)

"giddne" wrote:

I'm running a mail campaign. When I type the persons first name in the
address line (I'm using a form field), I'd like the same name to be
automatically entered after "Dear".

John Doe
123 Main St.
Anywhere,

Dear John

Appreciate your time and help!

Greg

giddne,

Without a macro you will need two fields for the name. One for the
First and one for the Last.

The formfield that you are using to type the First name has a bookmark
name. Unprotect and double click the field and you will see it. Lets
call it Text1. Click the option to "calculate on exit"

After Dear, type Text1 select it and press CTRL+F9 then select it,
right click and toggle field code.

If you want to stick with one field for the whole name, then you could
run someting like the following as an on exit macro to populate a
second field located after Dear:

Sub ProperName()
Dim fullName As String
Dim i As Long
fullName = ActiveDocument.FormFields("Text1").Result
i = InStr(fullName, " ")
ActiveDocument.FormFields("Text2").Result = Left(fullName, i - 1)
End Sub

giddne

Thanks Greg!! I'm assuming when I type John in the address, it automatically
fills in after "Dear", after I exit the first form field. Is this correct or
do I have to toggle each time? Do I type Text1 after Dear,in a form field or
not? When I CTRL+F9, it places brackets around "Text1" yet when I select it
and toggle field code it eliminates the box. I can't seem to get it to work.
What am I missing? Should fill in be enabled?

I do appreciate your time and respect your interest.
David

"Greg" wrote:

[...]

Greg Maxey

David,

Sorry if my instructions were vague.

Your assumption is correct. If you hav elected to use a formfield for the
First name then when you exit that field the REF field { Text1 } will
autopopulated.

See the explanation is section 2 he
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

"Greg" wrote:

[...]

giddne

Thanks Greg, the link to your site really helped. Got it done. Now can you
come here and enter all this data for me??
Thanks again!!!!!
David

"Greg" wrote:

[...]

giddne

Cyber, thanks for the response. The degree of personalization would be
limited to name and address in the letter and on the envelope. Using form
field seems to work by minimizing some typing but I'm not aware enough of
what other things I could be doing. There are not any data bases involved.
What simple benefits could mail merge offer that I may consider?