Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lori H. Lori H. is offline

Default 2007-2003 activeX & compatability

First I noticed that Word2007 crashed every time I tried to open or save a
2003 .doc that I added activeX checkboxes to.

So I finally gave in & saved as 2007 .docx
It still takes forever to load, but it works...until someone tries to use it
in Word 2003. When it opens, it gives a compatibility warning (some features
may be disabled), but I expected simple checkboxes would still work. It's
protected for form fill-in, but when you click on a checkbox, the view jumps
to the beginning of the doc (and the checkbox doesn't appear). What's the
problem? Are the 2007 ActiveX controls not compatible with Word2003?

problem 2 (?) a user also reported to me that the file contains macros (but
it doesn't). I double checked (using Word2007) and sure enough the macro
list is empty for "all active docs & templates" - then I opened it on a
different computer in Word2003 and it appears there are macros in normal.dot
(I think they are macros I created a long time ago that shouldn't be saved to
the global template) - Since the controls are deactivated when it opens in
2003 and the macros are not available when it opens in 2007, is there a way I
can get rid of the macros without losing the checkbox functionality?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The macro warning is a function of adding activeX controls to a document. If
you want check boxes and no macro warnings, use legacy form fields and avoid
activeX controls.Legacy form fields are compatible with both versions of
Word.