Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vic Vic is offline

Default Text formatting

I copied a text from my email into a new word document. The whole body of the
text is occupying left 2/3 of the page. I need the text to flow thru the
entire page from left margin to the right margin. What is the fastest way to
do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pesach Shelnitz Pesach Shelnitz is offline

Hi Vic,

Text copied from an e-mail or other sources can behave this way for two
reasons that I know. 1) The text contains line breaks or carriage returns. 2)
It was copied with a style. The first is the most likely reason, but I would
first make sure that all the text has the Normal style. To do this block all
of the copied text and press Ctrl+Shift+N. Next, to remove the unwanted
carriage returns, block the text that makes up the the first paragraph of the
copied text, press Ctrl+H to open Find/Replace, type ^p in Find and click
Replace All. Repeat this procedure for the other paragraphs that were copied.

--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"Vic" wrote:

I copied a text from my email into a new word document. The whole body of the
text is occupying left 2/3 of the page. I need the text to flow thru the
entire page from left margin to the right margin. What is the fastest way to
do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vic Vic is offline

It is in normal style already. ^p didn't work. I am using 2003 Word. There is
carriage return after every line. How do I get rid off it?
Thank you.

"Vic" wrote:

I copied a text from my email into a new word document. The whole body of the
text is occupying left 2/3 of the page. I need the text to flow thru the
entire page from left margin to the right margin. What is the fastest way to
do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pesach Shelnitz Pesach Shelnitz is offline

Hi Vic,

They may be line breaks. Try blocking each paragraph, searching for ^l
(caret and the letter el) and replacing by nothing or a space. You can also
try ^013 and ^010 in the find/replace.
--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"Vic" wrote:

I copied a text from my email into a new word document. The whole body of the
text is occupying left 2/3 of the page. I need the text to flow thru the
entire page from left margin to the right margin. What is the fastest way to
do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

You have already been given some instructions but for further details see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...eanWebText.htm
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Clean_Up_Text.htm
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Vic" wrote:

I copied a text from my email into a new word document. The whole body of the
text is occupying left 2/3 of the page. I need the text to flow thru the
entire page from left margin to the right margin. What is the fastest way to
do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul B[_5_] Paul B[_5_] is offline

"Vic" wrote:

I copied a text from my email into a new word document. The whole body of the
text is occupying left 2/3 of the page. I need the text to flow thru the
entire page from left margin to the right margin. What is the fastest way to
do this?

Here's an adaptation of the famous "fixmail" macro. Save this to
your normal.dot template. Make sure desired paragraphs first have
two linefeeds between them. I believe this will work either on a
Selection or from insertion point downward.

Another way to get at it is to use a Clipboard utility such as
CLCL or Clippy.

p.

Sub Fix_Mail()
'
' Paul B.
' to unformat email. separate true paragraphs first. d/l from
FileWorld.com
'
' first, convert soft to hard returns (added 4/07):
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = "^l"
.Replacement.Text = "^p"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindStop
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll

' continue with original fixmail macro:
dowhat = wdFindStop
' If selection.Type = wdSelectionIP Then
' selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
' dowhat = wdFindContinue
'End If
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
'
With Selection.Find
.Text = "^p"
.Replacement.Text = "@@@"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = dowhat
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
'
With Selection.Find
.Text = "@@@@@@"
.Replacement.Text = "^p^p"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = dowhat
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
'
With Selection.Find
.Text = "@@@"
.Replacement.Text = " "
.Forward = True
.Wrap = dowhat
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll

' kill extra carriage returns, doublespaces:
' Call Normal.NewMacros.CR_subtract
' Call Normal.NewMacros.doublespace_killer
' Call Normal.NewMacros.doublespace_killer
'
End Sub

--
Using Office 2003 sp3 on Windows XP Home
Behold, I will allure her, I will lead her into the wilderness