Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Signe4 Signe4 is offline

Default How Use Letter and Number to Automatically Label Rows of Table?

I want to "number" the rows of my table with 1-D, 2-D, 3-D, 4-D. How do I do
this automatically?
--
Signe4
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Signe4 was telling us:
Signe4 nous racontait que :

I want to "number" the rows of my table with 1-D, 2-D, 3-D, 4-D. How
do I do this automatically?

Add a narrow column to the left of the table.
Create a numbered style ("Format Styles and Formatting... New Style...")
Once there, after having given a name to your new style, select the
Numbering option (Format Numbering...)
Select the first available style under the "Numbered" tab.
Click on Reset.
Click on Yes
Click on Customize...
Type "-D" next to "1." in the "Number format" field (Without the quotes).
Make sure that all the values for "Aligned at:" Tab Space after:" and
"Indent at" are set to 0 (You won't be using the style for paragraphs that
contain text...)
Click on OK twice
Select the first narrow column in your table.
Apply the style you just created.
If you add or delete rows, the numbering should adjust automatically.

--
______________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Signe4 Signe4 is offline

Thank you Jean-Guy,

When I selected the first available numbering option under the Numbered tab,
the Reset button was grayed out.

Does it matter if the first available numbering option I choose is 1., 2.,
3.... or can it be 1), 2), 3) or can it be a), b), c) ?

When I selected a), b), and c), I then clicked Reset,
Then I clicked Yes.
Then I clicked Customize.
Then, I was unable to add "-D" in front of "1"

I eventually got to the point where all rows were labeled "1-D", but they
were not labled "1-D, 2-D, 3-D" etc.

Also, in order to see the full number and letter in the column I went into
Format/Paragraph and entered ".2" for the Left margin; otherwise, I could not
see the full number.

What is the purpose of the far left column?
Are the number and the letter in the same column? If so, are they in the
far left column?
Please verify that the far left column I added is attached to the table.
--
Signe4

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

Signe4 was telling us:
Signe4 nous racontait que :

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Signe4 was telling us:
Signe4 nous racontait que :

Thank you Jean-Guy,

When I selected the first available numbering option under the
Numbered tab, the Reset button was grayed out.

This means that the selected list is already reset.

Does it matter if the first available numbering option I choose is
1., 2.,
3.... or can it be 1), 2), 3) or can it be a), b), c) ?

It does not matter.
It is just easier to select a list style that matches what you want already.
If you want "1-D" it makes sense to start with the "1. 2. 3. "list instead
of the "a) b) c)" list; otherwise you have to redefine the number format.

Not sure what you did here, I wrote:
"
Type "-D" next to "1." in the "Number format" field (Without the quotes).
"
(Note that I forgot to mention that you should have deleted the "." after
the "1", sorry about that.)

Nothing about typing IN FRONT of 1.

I eventually got to the point where all rows were labeled "1-D", but
they were not labled "1-D, 2-D, 3-D" etc.

The result you see indicates that you manually typed the "1" in the "Number
format" field of the "Customize Numbered List" dialog. You cannot do that.

field in that dialog.
Then choose the appropriate number style in the "Number style:" field,
probably "1,2,3, ...".
After that, type "-D" AFTER the "1" that appears in the "Number format"
field (The "1" with a gray background).

Also, in order to see the full number and letter in the column I went
into Format/Paragraph and entered ".2" for the Left margin;
otherwise, I could not see the full number.

Don't do that in the Paragraph format dialog.

Again, read my instructions, I stated:
"
Make sure that all the values for "Aligned at:" Tab Space after:" and
"Indent at" are set to 0 (You won't be using the style for paragraphs that
contain text...)
"

What is the purpose of the far left column?

To hold the numbers separately from the text in other columns.

Are the number and the letter in the same column?

Yes, they are both defined in the style you created when you followed my

If so, are they in
the far left column?

Yes.

Please verify that the far left column I added is attached to the
table.

How can I do that?

Signe4 was telling us:
Signe4 nous racontait que :