G. L.

Default hiding chapters

Hi,
the problem: I have to write a user manual for a product which is available
in various versions and customer-configurations. I'd like to have an
(invisible) header information block for this document where I can set the
various properties (small version, customer A specific, etc.) Depending on
this settings certain chapters or text blocks shall be hidden or shown to
the viewer (of course the index and page numbering should be consistent).
How could this be accomplished with least effort? Thanx
-loef

CyberTaz

Hi G.L.-

I appreciate what you want to do, and I'm sure you will get any number of
suggestions from those who are quite technically knowledgeable about Word.
IMHO, however, a 'one size fits all' approach is an open invitation to every
conceivable aspect of Murphy's Law. If that many variations are involved and
the doc will be presented on screen it is all but guaranteed that the wrong
people are going to see the wrong stuff and whoever is running the show is
going to be more involved with manipulative mechanics than they should be.
These are just a couple of _forseeable_ problems.

FWIW, you might consider other approaches such as PDFs generated from a Word
doc, PowerPoint presentations, or even multiple Word docs. Either will
provide a much more professional & manageable solution, not to mention far
_less_ complexity.

Hope this is useful and received in the constructive manner intended |:)