Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Guy Lydig Guy Lydig is offline

Default Template settings

Is there a way to prevent a user from making changes to the settings in a
template?

I created a template with a table containing specific fonts, sizes, line
spacing, etc. and the end-user knows just enough about Word to make a mess!
Is there a way to prevent changes? (This is not a Form.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

To use a template, the user should be creating a new document from the
template through the File | New dialog. The template should simply be locked
for editing (which doesn't stop a new document being opened from it but does
stop the user making changes that are then written back to the template).

You can also use the Protect function to restrict formatting and editing so
that only styles in the template can be used.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Guy Lydig" wrote in message
Is there a way to prevent a user from making changes to the settings in a
template?

I created a template with a table containing specific fonts, sizes, line
spacing, etc. and the end-user knows just enough about Word to make a
mess!
Is there a way to prevent changes? (This is not a Form.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Guy Lydig Guy Lydig is offline

Terry,

Thanks for your response.

The user IS creating a new documnet from the template through File | New.

Isn't every template "locked for editing" so that changes are not written
back to the template? I thought that was the idea of using a template.

Here's are the two questionw I need answered:
You wrote, "You can also use the Protect function to restrict formatting and
editing so that only styles in the template can be used." HOW/WHERE is the
Protect function that allows me to restrict formatting and editing so only
"styles" in the template can be used?

Does "styles" apply to line spacing, font, and font size?

"Guy Lydig" wrote in message
Is there a way to prevent a user from making changes to the settings in a
template?

I created a template with a table containing specific fonts, sizes, line
spacing, etc. and the end-user knows just enough about Word to make a
mess!
Is there a way to prevent changes? (This is not a Form.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Guy Lydig Guy Lydig is offline

Word 2002

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Are you using Word 2007?

Terry

"Guy Lydig" wrote in message
Is there a way to prevent a user from making changes to the settings in
template?

I created a template with a table containing specific fonts, sizes,
line
spacing, etc. and the end-user knows just enough about Word to make a
mess!
Is there a way to prevent changes? (This is not a Form.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Sorry, you cannot achieve what you want. Word XP did not have that ability.

Terry

"Guy Lydig" wrote in message
Word 2002

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Are you using Word 2007?

Terry

"Guy Lydig" wrote in message
Is there a way to prevent a user from making changes to the settings
in
template?

I created a template with a table containing specific fonts, sizes,
line
spacing, etc. and the end-user knows just enough about Word to make
mess!
Is there a way to prevent changes? (This is not a Form.)

Grammar Settings per Template cjmartin65 Microsoft Word Help 2 March 19th 07 05:10 PM
Changes to Template Settings Frogmouth Page Layout 8 May 10th 06 08:24 AM
Template settings TRM Page Layout 1 February 7th 05 11:11 AM
template settings TRM Microsoft Word Help 1 February 2nd 05 04:23 PM
template settings TRM Microsoft Word Help 1 December 10th 04 01:50 AM