Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mikey :)[_2_] Mikey :)[_2_] is offline

Default bug? normal text appears as heading 1 in document map

Im using micosoft office home/student edition v12.0.6425.1000 (the latest
version on microsoft update) running on windows xp sp2

The problem i have is in word 2007.

text formatted in my document with the normal style and with the caption
style appear as heading 1 in the document map. Yet if i click on the text in
the document they still show as being normal or caption text and not heading
1. Is this a known bug? or is there something i can try to fix this. Im
becoming paranoid. I wish i never started using word to write my thesis.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mikey :)[_2_] Mikey :)[_2_] is offline

Actually they dont just appear as heading 1.... they appear as heading 2 and
3 and 4 etc in the document map when i right click it and select the
appropriate option

"Mikey " wrote:

Im using micosoft office home/student edition v12.0.6425.1000 (the latest
version on microsoft update) running on windows xp sp2

The problem i have is in word 2007.

text formatted in my document with the normal style and with the caption
style appear as heading 1 in the document map. Yet if i click on the text in
the document they still show as being normal or caption text and not heading
1. Is this a known bug? or is there something i can try to fix this. Im
becoming paranoid. I wish i never started using word to write my thesis.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

The document map has been known to make unwanted changes to paragraph outline
levels. ( I rarely use the document map and have not had this problem, but I
seem to recall reading that turning off autoformat stops this behavior. Can
someone verify that?)

Possible solution: Go to the normal paragraphs and check whether the
paragraph outline levels have been changed from body text to level 1, etc.
Change them back to body text, as appropriate. You can get to the paragraph
dialog this way" home tab paragraph group indents and spacing tab
general section.

Pam

Mikey wrote:
Actually they dont just appear as heading 1.... they appear as heading 2 and
3 and 4 etc in the document map when i right click it and select the
appropriate option

Im using micosoft office home/student edition v12.0.6425.1000 (the latest
version on microsoft update) running on windows xp sp2

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
1. Is this a known bug? or is there something i can try to fix this. Im
becoming paranoid. I wish i never started using word to write my thesis.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mikey :)[_2_] Mikey :)[_2_] is offline

Thank you Pamelia,

this was indeed the problem.

I clicked line spacing button, then line spacing options though and outline
level was set at 1. I set it back to body text.

What is autoformat? should i turn this off?

Thanks

Mikey wrote:
Actually they dont just appear as heading 1.... they appear as heading 2 and
3 and 4 etc in the document map when i right click it and select the
appropriate option

Im using micosoft office home/student edition v12.0.6425.1000 (the latest
version on microsoft update) running on windows xp sp2

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
1. Is this a known bug? or is there something i can try to fix this. Im
becoming paranoid. I wish i never started using word to write my thesis.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/DocumentMap.htm for more on the
document map issue.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Mikey wrote:
Actually they dont just appear as heading 1.... they appear as heading 2
and
3 and 4 etc in the document map when i right click it and select the
appropriate option

Im using micosoft office home/student edition v12.0.6425.1000 (the
latest
version on microsoft update) running on windows xp sp2

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
1. Is this a known bug? or is there something i can try to fix this.
Im
becoming paranoid. I wish i never started using word to write my
thesis.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mikey :)[_2_] Mikey :)[_2_] is offline

thanks for that stefan

Yeh because i can set the outline level back to body text but when i reopen
the document it resets everything back to level 1.

I will stop using the document map i think and go with outline view.

Mikey wrote:
Actually they dont just appear as heading 1.... they appear as heading 2
and
3 and 4 etc in the document map when i right click it and select the
appropriate option

Im using micosoft office home/student edition v12.0.6425.1000 (the
latest
version on microsoft update) running on windows xp sp2
[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
1. Is this a known bug? or is there something i can try to fix this.
Im
becoming paranoid. I wish i never started using word to write my
thesis.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That is probably going to be the easiest fix (unfortunately).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP