Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
perplexed perplexed is offline

Default cannot get rid of a footnote!

Deleting the superscript in the text does not get rid of this one stubborn
footnote. I've even tried deleting the whole paragraph!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you double-click on the footnote number in the footnote, where does
your cursor go? That should be the actual insertion point of the
footnote, and that's what you need to delete.

On Jul 29, 10:33*am, perplexed
wrote:
Deleting the superscript in the text does not get rid of this one stubborn
footnote. I've even tried deleting the whole paragraph!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
perplexed perplexed is offline

Thanks for your reply.
The cursor goes to a blank space where the footnote used to be. That's why I
had tried deleting the entire paragraph, and then the neighbouring documents,
hoping that the invisible footnote number in the text would disappear as
well, but of course it did not. It just moved further down the document. (I
use footnotes extensively, and run into this problem only once in a while.)

However, since my posting, I opened the same document in Word XP. The
footnote is no longer there, and the rest are numbered correctly. Yet when I
re-save and re-open in my Word 2000, the footnote appears again!

wrote:
Deleting the superscript in the text does not get rid of this one stubborn
footnote. I've even tried deleting the whole paragraph!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

So, stop using Word2000!

Did you try selecting the blank space the cursor ends up at? along
with a couple characters around it both ways, which you'd then simply
retype after deleting?

wrote:
Deleting the superscript in the text does not get rid of this one stubborn
footnote. I've even tried deleting the whole paragraph!-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A less drastic approach than stop using Word 2000 may be to use Word 2002 to
save in HTML or XML format and then back to Word format, hoping that this
gets rid of the corruption in the document.

Alternatively, within Word 2000 one could try copying text, except for the
final paragraph mark (¶) and the broken footnote, into a new document.

To show/hide paragraph marks as well as other nonprinting marks, press
Crl+Shift+8.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP