Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
omega4enigma omega4enigma is offline

Default I lost a whole paragraph

Last night I was working on appendix for my company when all of a sudden my
word program just flashed and the paragraph I just spent almost an hour on
typing just disappeared. Now I am also using End Note with word for the work
that I am doing and from my word file I do need to add references.So as I
type the info the references also go into End Note and when I checked that
there were no changes.Also the other paragraphs in my file were not changed
or damaged

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What does "flashed" mean?

Was there a momentary power outage?

Why don't you Save every few minutes?

Did you immediately try Undo?

On Jul 31, 7:52*pm, omega4enigma
wrote:
Last night I was working on appendix for my company when all of a sudden my
word program just flashed and the paragraph I just spent almost an hour on
typing just disappeared. Now I am also using End Note with word for the work
that I am doing and from my word file I do need to add references.So as I
type the info the references also go into End Note and when I checked that
there were no changes.Also the other paragraphs in my file were not changed
or *damaged *

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

wrote:
Last night I was working on appendix for my company when all of a sudden my
word program just flashed and the paragraph I just spent almost an hour on
typing just disappeared. Now I am also using End Note with word for the work
that I am doing and from my word file I do need to add references.So as I
type the info the references also go into End Note and when I checked that
there were no changes.Also the other paragraphs in my file were not changed
or damaged

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the response. To answer your question "What do you
mean by flashed?" Well that is what I meant it just flashed meaning the
office program just blinked or flashed , there was no power serge or outage
and I have office to save every 5 min. and when I went to check for the Undo
there was nothing to Undo ??????/?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That's a misconception -- what Word is doing every 5 minutes is not
saving the document, but making a record of what is needed to recover
your file in case of a crash. You need to actually press Ctrl-S (or
equivalent) frequently in order for your file actually to be saved to
your hard drive.

It sounds like there was some sort of momentary electrical event that
was enough to disrupt the RAM and lose whatever hadn't been saved.

wrote:
Last night I was working on appendix for my company when all of a sudden my
word program just flashed and the paragraph I just spent almost an hour on
typing just disappeared. Now I am also using End Note with word for the work
that I am doing and from my word file I do need to add references.So as I
type the info the references also go into End Note and when I checked that
there were no changes.Also the other paragraphs in my file were not changed
or *damaged *

Hello Peter,

* * * * Thank you for the response. To answer your question "What do you
mean by flashed?" Well that is what I meant it just flashed meaning the
office program just blinked or flashed , there was no power serge or outage
and I have office to save every 5 min. and when I went to check for the Undo
there was nothing to Undo ??????/?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For a utility that does create backups automatically (or rather can be
configured to make automatic backups), see
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP