Toody

Default How and Where are Word Documents Saved?

I searched for a document called "Recipes2" in my Search option under the
start menu. (I created this document by clicking on Word 2003, under start,
typing the information and saving it.)

Two files came up with the same information and properties. One was stored
under "My Documents" and the other under "Cocuments and Settings\..."

Why are there two copies of the same file? Is this something new to Windows
XP? My Windows 98 never did this. Is something wrong?

What should I do?
Jezebel

Probably what you're seeing is 1) the original file, and 2) a shortcut to it
in 'Recent Files'. This is normal.

'My Documents' is not a folder in its own right -- it's actually another
name (effectively a shortcut) to another folder, usually -- unless you're on
a corporate network or you've set up your computer differently --
c:\Documents and Settings\[Name]\My Documents\

"Toody" wrote in message
I searched for a document called "Recipes2" in my Search option under the
start menu. (I created this document by clicking on Word 2003, under
start,
typing the information and saving it.)

Two files came up with the same information and properties. One was stored
under "My Documents" and the other under "Cocuments and Settings\..."

Why are there two copies of the same file? Is this something new to
Windows
XP? My Windows 98 never did this. Is something wrong?

What should I do?

There aren't really two copies. My Documents is actually a folder under
Documents and Settings. There is a separate My Documents folder for each
profile. The separate My Documents folder that's displayed on the Desktop is
an artifact; it just mirrors the contents of the D&S folder for the current
profile.

"Toody" wrote in message
I searched for a document called "Recipes2" in my Search option under the
start menu. (I created this document by clicking on Word 2003, under

start,
typing the information and saving it.)

Two files came up with the same information and properties. One was stored
under "My Documents" and the other under "Cocuments and Settings\..."

Why are there two copies of the same file? Is this something new to

Windows
XP? My Windows 98 never did this. Is something wrong?

What should I do?

Graham Mayor

They will be permanent as long as the original files exist. The My Documents
view is merely that, a view. It does not constitute a second folder. It is
merely a reflection of how Windows Explorer works to display files. You can
treat either view as the same set of files, for that is what they are.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There aren't really two copies. My Documents is actually a folder
under Documents and Settings. There is a separate My Documents
folder for each profile. The separate My Documents folder that's
displayed on the Desktop is an artifact; it just mirrors the
contents of the D&S folder for the current profile.

newsgroup so all may benefit.