Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Fred Fred is offline

Default deleting a cell

starting with a simple rectangular table (in which all cells are the same
size), i can delete a cell using the "shift cells left" option, and the
result is a table that's missing a cell at the right end of the row. (makes
sense.)

starting with the same table....

1) is there a way to delete a cell so that the result has the missing cell
at the left end of the row ("shift cells right")?

2) is there a way to delete a cell without shifting anything -- ie leave a
hole (non-cell) in the table where the cell had been?

3) when i delete a cell and select "shift cells up", nothing happens. why?

(i'm using word 2002 sp3 on xp.)

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: deleting a cell

  1. Yes, you can delete a cell and shift the remaining cells to the right by selecting the cell you want to delete and then right-clicking on it. From the drop-down menu, select "Delete Cells." In the Delete Cells dialog box, select "Shift cells right" and click OK. This will shift all the cells to the right of the deleted cell to the right, leaving a blank cell at the left end of the row.
  2. Yes, you can delete a cell without shifting anything by selecting the cell you want to delete and then right-clicking on it. From the drop-down menu, select "Delete Cells." In the Delete Cells dialog box, select "Delete entire row" or "Delete entire column" depending on whether you want to delete a row or a column. This will delete the entire row or column, leaving a hole in the table where the row or column used to be.
  3. If you select "Shift cells up" when deleting a cell in a table, but nothing happens, it's likely because there is no content in the cells below the deleted cell. When you select "Shift cells up," Word will move the content from the cells below the deleted cell up into the deleted cell, effectively shifting all the cells up by one. If there is no content in the cells below the deleted cell, there is nothing to shift up, so nothing happens.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

fred was telling us:
fred nous racontait que :

starting with a simple rectangular table (in which all cells are the
same size), i can delete a cell using the "shift cells left" option,
and the result is a table that's missing a cell at the right end of
the row. (makes sense.)

starting with the same table....

1) is there a way to delete a cell so that the result has the missing
cell at the left end of the row ("shift cells right")?

One way of doing this is to merge the first two cells in the row, then
select the merged cells, finally, drag its left border to the right until it
lines up with the second column delimiter.

2) is there a way to delete a cell without shifting anything -- ie
leave a hole (non-cell) in the table where the cell had been?

As far as I know, you cannot have a "hole" in a table.

3) when i delete a cell and select "shift cells up", nothing happens.
why?

Never used that... A broken feature?

(i'm using word 2002 sp3 on xp.)

--
______________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Fred Fred is offline

thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

2) is there a way to delete a cell without shifting anything -- ie
leave a hole (non-cell) in the table where the cell had been?

As far as I know, you cannot have a "hole" in a table.

But you can, of course, leave the cell empty, creating the illusion of a
"hole" in the table...

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP