Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Liam Waters Liam Waters is offline

Default Setting to compress all pictures in a word doc

Hi All, is there a setting, group policy or registry key that can be set to
ensure that all pictures are automatically compressed in a word document. We
have to depend on users electing to compress pictures but that is not always
being done. Thanks,
Liam.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

I would be wary of such a policy, as depending on the variability of quality
of the images, the compress function can create a very poor quality image.
I would think user training would be better and safer, especially if the
document are distributed to external reciepents, such as potential customers.
If your real issue is file bloat due to images being inserted there are
other methods to control this, but generally this comes down to user-training.
All the best
DeanH

"Liam Waters" wrote:

Hi All, is there a setting, group policy or registry key that can be set to
ensure that all pictures are automatically compressed in a word document. We
have to depend on users electing to compress pictures but that is not always
being done. Thanks,
Liam.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Liam Waters Liam Waters is offline

I agree user training is important but these documents are only for internal
purposes and if a picture of high res of about 50MB in size is put into a
document it makes it unnecessarily high considering printing and screens
cannot take full advantage of the high res. I would prefer to train users on
how to turn off compression for a document than depend on them to do it for
each one. More often than not they wont if they work on a lot of documents.
What are the other methods you mention?

"Liam Waters" wrote:

Hi All, is there a setting, group policy or registry key that can be set to
ensure that all pictures are automatically compressed in a word document. We
have to depend on users electing to compress pictures but that is not always
being done. Thanks,
Liam.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Instead of inserting the image directly, you could Link to the image, if it
is not being distributed then this can work, again the user will need to be
instructed on how to do this.
Create a lower Resolution and Size version of the original image and insert
this instead, again the user...

I don't know of any way to do such as policy, but someone else may jump in
here with a macro but how this is distributed to the users, again the user...
;-)
All the best
DeanH

"Liam Waters" wrote:

Hi All, is there a setting, group policy or registry key that can be set to
ensure that all pictures are automatically compressed in a word document. We
have to depend on users electing to compress pictures but that is not always
being done. Thanks,
Liam.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Liam Waters Liam Waters is offline

I'm more thinking of a setting that doesn't need the user to do anything. It
just performs the action when either importing the pic or when saving the
document.

thanks, Liam.