Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeff C[_2_] Jeff C[_2_] is offline

Default Linked/Merged Document retains formatting unexpectedly

In Word 2007, I've used the Insert-Text-Object-Create from File (checking
the "Link to file" option) to include a chapter into a main document. When I
change the "Style Set" on the main document, the content from the child
document is not formatted accordingly. This seems contrary to everything
I've found in my Internet and forum searches.

How can I link in a separate document so that it inherits the Style Set of
the base document?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoyJ JoyJ is offline

How are your Word Options set? Under the "Advanced" options, there are cut &
paste settings for whether you want the formatting to match the source or the
destination.

--
JoyJ

"Jeff C" wrote:

In Word 2007, I've used the Insert-Text-Object-Create from File (checking
the "Link to file" option) to include a chapter into a main document. When I
change the "Style Set" on the main document, the content from the child
document is not formatted accordingly. This seems contrary to everything
I've found in my Internet and forum searches.

How can I link in a separate document so that it inherits the Style Set of
the base document?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeff C[_2_] Jeff C[_2_] is offline

I see these options. They were set to the defaults. Changing them to "Match
Destination Formatting" Didn't seem to change how the linked in document
looked. I'm using the following, if it helps...

{ LINK Word.Document.12 "Document b.docx" \a \p \f o }

"Jeff C" wrote:

In Word 2007, I've used the Insert-Text-Object-Create from File (checking
the "Link to file" option) to include a chapter into a main document. When I
change the "Style Set" on the main document, the content from the child
document is not formatted accordingly. This seems contrary to everything
I've found in my Internet and forum searches.

How can I link in a separate document so that it inherits the Style Set of
the base document?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeff C[_2_] Jeff C[_2_] is offline

I discovered that \f 0 is the wrong flag, but changing it to \f 2 didn't seem
to help. I also removed the \p (picture) flag - still no help

"Jeff C" wrote:

In Word 2007, I've used the Insert-Text-Object-Create from File (checking
the "Link to file" option) to include a chapter into a main document. When I
change the "Style Set" on the main document, the content from the child
document is not formatted accordingly. This seems contrary to everything
I've found in my Internet and forum searches.

How can I link in a separate document so that it inherits the Style Set of
the base document?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Jeff,

If you insert the linked object as a picture, per the '\p' switch, the formatting remains as it is in the source document.

Try removing both the \p and \f switches and using either \r or \t instead.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Jeff C" wrote:

In Word 2007, I've used the Insert-Text-Object-Create from File (checking
the "Link to file" option) to include a chapter into a main document. When I
change the "Style Set" on the main document, the content from the child
document is not formatted accordingly. This seems contrary to everything
I've found in my Internet and forum searches.

How can I link in a separate document so that it inherits the Style Set of
the base document?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

And remember to update the field after editing the switches - simply toggling the display isn't enough.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Jeff C" wrote:

In Word 2007, I've used the Insert-Text-Object-Create from File (checking
the "Link to file" option) to include a chapter into a main document. When I
change the "Style Set" on the main document, the content from the child
document is not formatted accordingly. This seems contrary to everything
I've found in my Internet and forum searches.

How can I link in a separate document so that it inherits the Style Set of
the base document?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeff C[_2_] Jeff C[_2_] is offline

That helped a lot, but now I'm losing certain formatting that I WANTED to keep.

Specifically, I'm trying to conditionally include a bulleted list item, and
the bullet from the source document doesn't show up. Perhaps there's an
easier way to do this, such as conditionally hiding the section, but it's not
apparent to me how I might do that.

"Jeff C" wrote:

In Word 2007, I've used the Insert-Text-Object-Create from File (checking
the "Link to file" option) to include a chapter into a main document. When I
change the "Style Set" on the main document, the content from the child
document is not formatted accordingly. This seems contrary to everything
I've found in my Internet and forum searches.

How can I link in a separate document so that it inherits the Style Set of
the base document?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Jeff,

Assuming you've got a formfield or something such controlling the conditionall display, yYou could use an IF field in your document,
coded along the lines of:
{IF{REF MyTest}= TRUE "€¢ Bullet Point 1¶
"€¢ Bullet Point 2¶
"€¢ Bullet Point 3¶
"€¢ Bullet Point 4¶"}

Notes:
1. The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste them
from this message.
2. Inserting actual bullet formatting via field coding is problematic, but you can create much the same effect via manually-inserted
bullet characters, tabs and hanging indents, according to your taste.

--
Cheers
macropod