Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Newword Newword is offline

Default Having a Word document open at the end of the document

I am keeping a simple journal in Word. What setting do I use to have it open
at the end of the document so that I don't have to open, then scroll to the
end to make additional entries?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Just press Ctrl+End when you open the document. You could create an AutoOpen
macro to do this, but then you'd have to enable the macro every time you
opened it, which would be more trouble than just pressing this shortcut.

http://word.mvps.org

"Newword" wrote in message
I am keeping a simple journal in Word. What setting do I use to have it
open
at the end of the document so that I don't have to open, then scroll to
the
end to make additional entries?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gordon Bentley-Mix[_2_] Gordon Bentley-Mix[_2_] is offline

"You could create an AutoOpen macro to do this, but then you'd have to
enable the macro every time you opened it, which would be more trouble than
just pressing this shortcut."

Not quite true. If the document was based on a specific template and the
template was located in the right place and the macro security settings were
configured properly, the macro would run without any user intervention
required. In fact, depending on the version of Word, the macro could be in
the document itself and still allowed to run automatically if the document
was in a trusted location.

Having said that, even as a "professional" developer, I wouldn't waste my
time creating such a trivial macro; Ctrl+End is still a lot easier.
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix
Word MVP

Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup.

Read the original version of this post in the Office Discussion Groups - no
membership required!

"Newword" wrote in message
I am keeping a simple journal in Word. What setting do I use to have it
open
at the end of the document so that I don't have to open, then scroll to
the
end to make additional entries?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Trusted locations were introduced in Word 2007. In earlier versions, you'd
have to store the document in the Templates folder for this to work (or, as
you say, the macro would have to be in the template the document was based
on).

http://word.mvps.org

"Newword" wrote in message
I am keeping a simple journal in Word. What setting do I use to have it
open
at the end of the document so that I don't have to open, then scroll to
the
end to make additional entries?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

While not arguing with the general premise that here a macro is a
sledgehammer to crack a nut, this can be achieved with a couple of lines of
vba code in the normal template and work quite transparently.

If you add the following lines to an autoopen macro in the normal template
(changing the document name as appropriate) the journal will open with the
cursor at the end. Other documents will behave normally.

If ActiveDocument.name = "journaldocname.doc" Then
Selection.EndKey wdStory
End If

"Newword" wrote in message
I am keeping a simple journal in Word. What setting do I use to
have it open
at the end of the document so that I don't have to open, then
scroll to the
end to make additional entries?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Graham,

Conceding that it is just a matter of preference and in keeping with a new
naming convention, I would probably use:

If ActiveDocument.name = "journaldocname.doc" Then
NeedToOpenDocumentAtEndEveryTimeItOpensNailMeetsTh eHammer
End If

in the AutoOpen macro to call this independent procedu

Sub NeedToOpenDocumentAtEndEveryTimeItOpensNailMeetsTh eHammer()
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("\endofdoc").Select
End Sub

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org