Default Auto Format Settings & new normal.dot

Well, here is one to start with:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm. The gray brackets
are probably bookmarks; clear the relevant check box on the View tab of
Tools | Options.

wrote in message
Had to reinstall Office 2003 after HD failure. Am now 'stuck' with a
NEW 'default', normal.dot which I'm trying to modify.

I've forgotten what settings to use to:

-Move just ONE item (ie picture, formatting, etc) and not have all of
them move throughout the entire section/document.

-which 'auto format' settings to use/disable (I used to have an MVP
page bookmarked which exactly specified these settings & loved it! It
also is 'gone' in transfer to new HD) Getting these settings correct,
really 'tames' the beast!

-Getting rid of those gray, non-delectable brackets!

TIA!

Rado Lavrih

Got a longer document. As I want to make simple formatting using
Formating toolbar Word reformats the style instead of the text. This
happens only if the whole paragraph is selected and not in the case of
single word(s).

That means when I center one paragraph (Normal style ) word reformats
the whole document with all instances of Normal! It takes ages and
then ages for undo to return formatting.

Quite abnormal behavior that makes formatting a nightmare. I did turn
off most of the settings in Autoformat and Autocorrect but it still
behaves the same.

Wonder which setting is responsible?

Rado

Graham Mayor

CTRL+Z will correct any unwanted formatting immediately. The reformatting of
the whole document is addressed at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm

Rado Lavrih wrote:
Got a longer document. As I want to make simple formatting using
Formatting toolbar Word reformats the style instead of the text. This
happens only if the whole paragraph is selected and not in the case of
single word(s).

That means when I center one paragraph (Normal style ) word reformats
the whole document with all instances of Normal! It takes ages and
then ages for undo to return formatting.

Quite abnormal behavior that makes formatting a nightmare. I did turn
off most of the settings in Autoformat and Autocorrect but it still
behaves the same.

Wonder which setting is responsible?

Rado

Jay Freedman

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:29:56 -0800, wrote:

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:04:18 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Well, here is one to start with:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm. The gray brackets
are probably bookmarks; clear the relevant check box on the View tab of
Tools | Options.

That was it. Or rather, like the page I had bookmarked before. (I'm
pretty sure it was the private page of an MVP and it was in red &
white). But the PRINCIPLES ARE THE SAME! Actually, I was at that
site, from google and didn't find THAT section.

(Thought nav and visual very difficult on that site.)

Thanks so much! I changed all those settings, now maybe I can some
work done this week...

But what is the setting where I change one pic or paragraph from
center to elsewhere, and all pics in entire section move??? Or I bold
something and ditto... Is that controlled via the 'auto' settings
also?

I'll send you back to the same site for another page:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...eformatted.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jay Freedman

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:56:00 -0800, wrote:

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 19:57:42 -0500, Jay Freedman
wrote:

I'll send you back to the same site for another page:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...eformatted.htm

That worked also!

EXCEPT: on an existing manuscript, I have two inserted pics, one at
bottom of page, hard page break, next pic (no text between the
two-except page #). And that's what it's supposed to be.

BUT, These TWO small pics continue to format in unison, but now, NOT
any other graphics in manuscript, they are staying put, thank
goodness!

(When I get THIS normal.dot set up properly, am going to put on
floppy!)

When you apply paragraph formatting, it applies to the entire
paragraph. A hard page break is NOT a paragraph break, so both
pictures are in the same paragraph and subject to the same formatting.
If you need to format them differently, put the cursor after the first
picture and press Enter (it helps to turn on nonprinting characters
with the ¶ button, so you can see where the paragraph mark goes with
respect to the page break).

I sincerely hope you aren't doing this in your normal.dot template,
because that would affect every new blank document you create
afterward. Save the template with some other name, and choose it in
the File New dialog when you need a new document of this specific
type.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

I think Jay had lost track of the thread and thought you were putting these
pictures in Normal.dot.

wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:43:12 -0500, Jay Freedman
wrote:

I sincerely hope you aren't doing this in your normal.dot template,
because that would affect every new blank document you create
afterward. Save the template with some other name, and choose it in
the File New dialog when you need a new document of this specific
type.

In the past (Many years!) have always altered normal.dot template, as
I ALWAYS use the same format. Period.

And can't you always get a 'new' default, normal.dot just by renaming
or deleting the old one??? That is, if ya really needed one : -

However, since, you just reminded me of this: I'm working in a
manuscript.doc and have marked each change as 'add to template'. Will
save it as a template...

I truly thank you for helping a 'software dummie!