Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aminna1 Aminna1 is offline

Default Drag and Drop Word Document in Windows Explorer Corrupts File

I'm running Win Vista Home Premium 64-bit and Office 2007.

I created a Word07 doc from scratch (no paste in from 00-03, etc), edited,
filesaveclosed then alttabbed to windows explorer and created a new folder
and drag & dropped the word doc to it.

Explorer froze during drag and after 30 minutes of freeze I hard booted.
Word was open when I drag & dropped so I assumed the freeze must be the
result of Word not completely closing the doc out after FileClose.

Browsing to the source folder in Explorer showed the file in its original
folder, no new copy in destination folder. Double clicking the file from
Explorer froze Explorer.

StartWordbrowse to fileOpen worked and allowed opening the file and
SaveAs to new destination.

The Saved up/Recovered version of the file was edited and saved up four
times with no problems.

With all apps closed (except antivirus) went to archive the old versions to
a sub-folder today. Opened Win Explorer, browsed to & selected versions 1-3
of the document, dragged to a sub-folder and Explorer hangs. Hard booted
after 20 minutes assuming it was the original bugged version causing the
freeze.

When I browse to StartProgramsOffice the shortcut for Word displays a
'white box' icon and hovering over it shows a popup saying "shortcut modified
today's date." Selecting it to open word does nothing. Word does not open
from start.

Anyone else see anything like this?