Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lesley Lesley is offline

Default I would like a word to come up when i put in first letter in

I am using a loan computer from out it company and donot know how to set up
word recognition, i.e put in Qu and Qualfab will come up, can anyone help
pleae?

Thanks
Lesley
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Create an AutoCorrect entry which replaces the abbrevation with the full
word.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lesley" wrote in message
I am using a loan computer from out it company and donot know how to set up
word recognition, i.e put in Qu and Qualfab will come up, can anyone help
pleae?

Thanks
Lesley

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But don't use just "Qu" for Qualifab, or you'll have to undo it every
time you want to type another word starting with Qu. Use something
like Qf or qf, which is unlikely to turn up anywhere else.

"Lesley" wrote in message

I am using a loan computer from out it company and donot know how to set up
word recognition, i.e put in Qu and Qualfab will come up, can anyone help
pleae?

Thanks
Lesley-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Good point.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lesley" wrote in message

I am using a loan computer from out it company and donot know how to set
up
word recognition, i.e put in Qu and Qualfab will come up, can anyone
help
pleae?

Thanks
Lesley-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I invariably use a # symbol for such autocorrect entries. #qu would work or
#q to retain two key strokes.

Stefan Blom wrote:
Good point.

"Lesley" wrote in message

I am using a loan computer from out it company and donot know how
to set up
word recognition, i.e put in Qu and Qualfab will come up, can anyone
help
pleae?

Thanks
Lesley-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Given my hit-or-miss accuracy for any character (especially shifted ones) on
the top row, I would never use #. As it is, one of my clients is always
having to point out my typos of, say, 105 for 10% or 410 for $10.

http://word.mvps.org

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
I invariably use a # symbol for such autocorrect entries. #qu would work or
#q to retain two key strokes.

Stefan Blom wrote:
Good point.

"Lesley" wrote in message

I am using a loan computer from out it company and donot know how
to set up
word recognition, i.e put in Qu and Qualfab will come up, can anyone
help
pleae?

Thanks
Lesley-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl Flanders Cheryl Flanders is offline

I tested this because I have never noticed AutoCorrect working this
way. I added Qualifab with "qu" as the Replace word. I can type
quit, quiet, queen, question, etc., without AutoCorrect changing those
words to Qualifab. You must press the spacebar immediately after "qu"
to get Qualifab. What am I missing here?

Cheryl

"Lesley" wrote in message

I am using a loan computer from out it company and donot know how to set up
word recognition, i.e put in Qu and Qualfab will come up, can anyone help
pleae?

Thanks
Lesley-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

That's the beauty of a UK pattern keyboard. # is on the middle row
unshifted, next to the enter key.
It doesn't matter what key you choose as log as it is not one that you would
ordinarily type before q

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Given my hit-or-miss accuracy for any character (especially shifted
ones) on the top row, I would never use #. As it is, one of my
clients is always having to point out my typos of, say, 105 for 10%
or 410 for $10.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
I invariably use a # symbol for such autocorrect entries. #qu would
work or #q to retain two key strokes.

Stefan Blom wrote:
Good point.

"Lesley" wrote in message

I am using a loan computer from out it company and donot know how
to set up
word recognition, i.e put in Qu and Qualfab will come up, can
anyone help
pleae?

Thanks
Lesley-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, he was just repeating advice he's often read here. What, then, is
the point of prefacing each AutoCorrect key with "#"? (Someone else
recommends ";" as a prefix.) "Qf" is a better mnemonic for "Qualifab"
than "#Qu" is.

On Sep 4, 10:58*am, "Graham Mayor" wrote:
You are missing the fact that Peter didn't test the premise before posting.

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

"Lesley" wrote in message

I am using a loan computer from out it company and donot know how
to set up word recognition, i.e put in Qu and Qualfab will come
up, can anyone help pleae?

Thanks
Lesley--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I suspected that might be the case. We have the ' and " key there, and that
would not work for AutoCorrect entries.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Given my hit-or-miss accuracy for any character (especially shifted
ones) on the top row, I would never use #. As it is, one of my
clients is always having to point out my typos of, say, 105 for 10%
or 410 for $10.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
I invariably use a # symbol for such autocorrect entries. #qu would
work or #q to retain two key strokes.

Stefan Blom wrote:
Good point.

"Lesley" wrote in message

I am using a loan computer from out it company and donot know how
to set up
word recognition, i.e put in Qu and Qualfab will come up, can
anyone help
pleae?

Thanks
Lesley-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl Flanders Cheryl Flanders is offline

I have never seen advice here along the lines of qu always changing
any word that begins with qu to something else you have in
AutoCorrect. This advice would mean that you can never use the first
two letters of any word as your Replace word.

I have advised using a semicolon as a prefix when you want to add
hyphenated words to something like a number, such as 4-year-old. The
semicolon (as well as other punctuation marks) forces Word to back up
and replace the space after 4 with the hyphen (in Word 2000 and
later). This also works for cc: where Word automatically capitalizes
the first c. Using ;c as your Replace word for cc: will force Word to
back up and automatically change the uppercase c to lowercase.

Cheryl

On Sep 4, 8:42*am, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
No, he was just repeating advice he's often read here. What, then, is
the point of prefacing each AutoCorrect key with "#"? (Someone else
recommends ";" as a prefix.) "Qf" is a better mnemonic for "Qualifab"
than "#Qu" is.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I believe several people in this thread, including myself, have been
confusing AutoCorrect with the AutoComplete suggestion for *AutoText* (which
exists in Word 97-2003). It is strange, since AutoText was never mentioned
in the thread.

Sorry for any confusion. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Cheryl Flanders" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

I am sure that there are others, but the word that first comes to mind
starting with QU is Quit. An example would be

"Quit posting in threads that are out of your range." That advice is in
keeping with the goals and objective statement number 2:

2. Post when and wherever you like, but stay in your range of expertise.
Always be open to the ideas and suggestion of others. If you venture
outside your range then try to be correct.

--
Greg Maxey

See my web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org
for an eclectic collection of Word Tips.

"Lesley" wrote in message

I am using a loan computer from out it company and donot know how to set
up
word recognition, i.e put in Qu and Qualfab will come up, can anyone
help
pleae?

Thanks
Lesley-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Peter,

Penalty flag is down again. Remember goals and objective statement number
3.

3. Stop posting your opinions as statements of fact. If you think something
is easy or if you prefer one method to another then say so in that manner.
Stop insisting or trying to prove that your ways are always best, easiest,
fastest, etc. Let others decided for themselves what is easiest between a
set of given options and decide for themselves if the effort/advantage of
pursuing one approach justifies taking that approach over another.