Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Amy E. Amy E. is offline

Default Prevent text format from pulling into TOC

Is there a way to prevent the way I have text formatted in the body of the
document from automatically pulling into the TOC? For example, my Heading 2
style in the body of the text is underlined. However, when I create the TOC I
would like to have the text NOT be underlined. I tried modifying the TOC2
style but the text is not set to be underlined in that style, so it's just
pulling it straight from the text that way.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Instead of adding direct underline formatting to your Heading 2 paragraphs,
make sure to modify the Heading 2 *style* as desired; that way, the
formatting won't be reflected in the TOC.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Amy E." wrote in message
Is there a way to prevent the way I have text formatted in the body of the
document from automatically pulling into the TOC? For example, my Heading
2
style in the body of the text is underlined. However, when I create the
TOC I
would like to have the text NOT be underlined. I tried modifying the TOC2
style but the text is not set to be underlined in that style, so it's just
pulling it straight from the text that way.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the underline is part of the Heading 2 style, it will not be picked up by
the TOC, so I would guess that the underlining has been applied as direct
formatting.

http://word.mvps.org